Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 10:00 08 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Electronics : Mega-piclog

Page 2 of 2    
Downwind

Guru

Posted: 02:43pm 07 Mar 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I agree it looks very tidy, nice work.

Phill's work looks very good as well.

What happened to the other 2 transducers?

Pete.
Sometimes it just works

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 10:13pm 07 Mar 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thanks guys.

I used book binders to keep the wires looking pretty.

The other two transducers will be mounted outside the box. The wire they are sensing is 10mm thick, and I didn't want to route it through the case.

Glenn
The best time to plant a tree was twenty years ago, the second best time is right now.
JAQ

domwild
Guru

Posted: 10:56pm 07 Mar 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Glenn,

I am green with envy as the entire setup is very clean and neat.

Biochar! Read about it in "The Australian". Looks like the soil needs carbon after harvests, just like it needs lime. In WA, they even spread coal dust from coal fields at Collie. The spreading contractors don't like it as it sticks to the feed screws/belts.

Taxation as a means of achieving prosperity is like a man standing inside a bucket trying to lift himself up.

Winston Churchill

KarlJ

Guru

Posted: 11:12pm 08 Mar 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Indeed nice one.
RE voltage doubler, where's the other one Phill?
Are you going to run the doubler on one stator only?
will end up with a fair gap on one or the other....

Otherwise, VERY neat, great work the pair of you.
Looks like a commercially viable setup

Karl
Luck favours the well prepared

GWatPE

Posted: 10:23pm 29 Mar 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Gizmo,

do you have a status report on the logging yet? How is the new look piclog coming along?

I have 6 recording systems in operation on my logging computer now. 1USB, and 5COMM, although 2 COMM are USB converters. Have you looked at E-PC, or net-PC as a logging unit?

Gordon.

become more energy aware

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 10:50pm 29 Mar 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Phill was up here a couple of weeks ago with his turbine. We did a trial install, but decided to not put the turbine up due to the cyclone threat. Just as well. The cyclone put things back a week.

We have a few issues with the site to get sorted. The mast is bolted to the corner of a shipping container. I asked them to mount the mast to the up wind corner, but when they positioned the container on site, they decided to rotate it 180deg and its now on the downwind corner. OK, so it will get turbulent wind, but the bigger problem is its downwind of the Biochar exhaust chimney! About 15 feet away to be exact. Not happy with that at all. And they dont want to rotate the container back to the correct direction.

So we're looking into options at this stage, hopefully it will get sorted soon. We do have another site that could work, with another windmill. More on that later.

Glenn
The best time to plant a tree was twenty years ago, the second best time is right now.
JAQ

Downwind

Guru

Posted: 06:55am 30 Mar 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Glenn,

Are the transducers you are using a DC or AC type and what is the signal you get out of them.

Pete.
Sometimes it just works

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 07:02am 30 Mar 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

They are DC, +-15v with adjustable offset and gain. Very nice.
JAQ

KarlJ

Guru

Posted: 01:38pm 30 Mar 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Bummer
any chance you can cut the mast off and put it in the right place again.

Chimney probably not too much of an issue unless its constantly punching out black smoke or other nasties.

We've all seen it 1st hand, with the turbine locked onto the wind (clean wind that is) the amps keep flowing, if the turbine is waving about in the breeze the amps are up and down and you'll get 1/3 the power in the same wind velocity.

I'm REALLY tempted to pick up another F&P for the new house but it would have to be on at least a 10m monopole tower, which is getting tough and then would the turbulence kill it anyway?

I think I could do it for $5500 but thats a lot of coin for a garden ornament!

then what if the neighbors complain....
I guess I could turn it into a flag pole and put the turbine up on the farm as mill2 and use the inverter for solar, all lots of mucking around...

Back to the topic, get good clean air at all cost!!!

Karl

Luck favours the well prepared

Page 2 of 2    
Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024