Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 08:43 29 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Electronics : Useful test unit

GWatPE

Posted: 01:26pm 23 Feb 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I had mentioned a new logging unit I had just purchased, in the visual effect of capacitors thread. I had not had much success with initial attempts with logging.

I have persevered, and now have a unit that can be used as a DSO, a scratchpad logger, and an unattended long term logger.

There are aspects of logging that many readers when first starting out will have problems with. Without an oscilloscope it is difficult to check the signal quality of an input that is being used for data logging. Usually the ADC inputs of a logger require DC levels. Many real world measurements are from electrically noisy ccts. It is tempting to just use analogue filters to smooth out the DC signals. It is better to be able to measure and view the quality of the signals in the measurement system, in the same setup that is used for recording. The picolog data logger can be inserted into the measurement system of voltage dividers, current sensors, frequency sensors, AC-DC converters etc. When all is thought to be correct, the unit can be set as a DSO and the various inputs can be checked for AC ripple, or noise, without adding any extra components or test equipment. If neccessary adjustments can be made to the input filtering, or gain etc and the effect on signal quality can be observed in real time.

When the user is satisfied that the signal quality of the ADC inputs is OK, then the DSO function can be turned OFF and the logging functions enabled.

I have many new projects that this test and recording system will now be experimented on.

Gordon.

become more energy aware

Downwind

Guru

Posted: 02:41pm 23 Feb 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Gordon,

What sort of range can the dso handle.

How many inputs can the new toy log.

What sort of speed can it handle with multi inputs.

Electrical noise can be a real problem as each location and installation can vary greatly from each other and for that reason is a hard issue to design around.

Pete.
Sometimes it just works

GWatPE

Posted: 09:58pm 23 Feb 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

The specifications for this unit, PicoLog 1000 can be found here.

I will be posting some pics when the time comes from my setups.

Gordon.

become more energy aware

GWatPE

Posted: 03:51am 25 Feb 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Here is a sample graph.

This is viewing/logging 16 channels. Window 1 is channels 1-4. window2 is channel1 and channels 5-8. window3 is channel1 and channels 9-12. Window4 is channel1 and channels 13-16.

The unit can do all of this and measure at 200uS/div.

I have just modified a clamp meter for AC current. I intend to convert this to a linear DC output. So far it gives 1.2VAC for 9.3ACA. This will easily give 0-20A with <10mA resolution.

have a bit of work yet with scaling and signal conditioning, to bring the signals down to 2.5V levels, to suite the ADC input max.

I still have to set up with a test signal, to confirm the timebase is the same across all inputs.

Gordon.

become more energy aware

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024