Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 12:33 29 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Electronics : wire size for stators

mgkc

Posted: 02:44pm 24 Feb 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

All I have is #12 wire will that work when making 6 coils? If so about how many turns will each coil need? Sorry for the dumb questions but I'm totally new to this sfuff and really interested in this.Sorry I should have added this is for a windmill.Edited by mgkc 2010-02-26

mgkc

Posted: 03:13pm 25 Feb 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

After searching half the night think I figured out that if I use #14 wire each coil will have about 35 turns each. going to do that, a friend had some #14 wire he is going to let me have.

Downwind

Guru

Posted: 03:21pm 25 Feb 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

You need to wind 1 coil and test the voltage you get out from it and adjust the windings to suit your end needs.

Wind a coil and mount it on some wood and rotate your disc with a magnet on it, with the coil mounted above it with a minimum air gap between the coil and magnet.

Measure the voltage and work from there.

Pete.
Sometimes it just works

mgkc

Posted: 03:37pm 25 Feb 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thanks I've never attempted anything like this before.Guess it will take alot of trial and error LOL that's why they call us newbies.

Bryan1

Guru

Posted: 07:19am 26 Feb 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi mgkc,
As this is your first attempt at building a dual axial flux genny I would suggest you get DanB's book and work to the letter on the plans in the book. Go check out otherpower and I'm sure after you've read whats there you'll be alot wiser from reading it.

Cheers Bryan

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024