Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 16:19 29 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Electronics : Beltronics STI

KarlJ

Guru

Posted: 08:28am 06 Mar 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I bought a nifty piece of kit off a mate as they are legal in WA.
RADAR detector, undetectable by radar detector detectors.
looks for laser too but this can catch you out if the cop on the side of the road only has one car to look at and it just happens to be you, no bounce from another car in front to detect prior to getting nailed.

Trick is apparently to get some practice prior to "testing"
at high speed.
Luck favours the well prepared

Downwind

Guru

Posted: 02:27pm 06 Mar 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

They say we shouldnt speed and we wont need one, but i got nabbed for what i thought was the right speed but had missed a 10kph change in the limit.

Im am all for them, as if they can have tricky gadgets then we should be able to as well.

I think its more to do with revenue rasing than saftey in 9 out of 10 cases.

I am sure most would benifit equally saftey wise, from a warning than a fine.

There is speeding and excess speed, we dont always realise we are speeding but excess speed we do knowingly.

Just my 20c worth.

Pete.
Sometimes it just works

KarlJ

Guru

Posted: 11:00pm 06 Mar 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

indeed
in Victoria 10 years ago the law stated a police officer was not allowed to hit you with the gun unless you appeared to be exceeding the limit.

so much for that, these days you can cop $130 for 5km/hr over, in QLD with their new cameras, they are talking ZERO tolerance, 1KM/hr over and you're done.

i drive everywhere on the highways at plus 10 and city plus 5, havent copped a ticket in a long time but
up until last week i've spent the last 10 years on an NT license due to an issue with vic license -points related arguement i've been having, i've copped the 12months no points option (in Vic) so should be OK now i'm leaving the state!

Karl

Downwind

Guru

Posted: 12:50am 07 Mar 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

More than likely your speedo is 5-10 fast to start with as most are so the little over is only putting you at the right speed anyway.

A GPS shows this up very quickly and out of 4 vehicles the worst one was 10 kph fast on the speedo ( its a Ford and to be expected)

I lock cruise control on via the GPS and have gone through radars on the open road and not recorded a excess speed so i trust the GPS as correct.

What gets me the most is we drive to the instruments we have to guide us and car makers have said they can not make speedos accurate to 1% due to tangable factors like tyres etc but the law wants to enforce the limit knowing this ....it smells like revenue rasing to me!!!

I also think we have to many speed limits to start with and 3 general limits would be enough say..110kph...80kph ...and 60kph ...with the 25kph reserved for schools and services.

My other Gripe is road works leaving their reduced speed signs out at night when no work is preformed because they are to lazy to put them away.

When i drove trucks this would bug me no end as the time lost to reduce speed for no good reason over a given distance then regain speed again only to travel down the road and do it all again for another spot.

Thats up to 40c of soap box gripes now.

Pete.
Sometimes it just works

KarlJ

Guru

Posted: 09:47am 08 Mar 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I have done the install, full stealth cant be seen from the outside of the car and hardwired in, seems to work great.

I read with great interest the WA govt. increasing the speed cameras /mobile units from 300odd to over 1000 for 2012. Aim is to increase revenue from $50million to over $100million.
not bad when they are only $75K a piece (fixed location)
could pay for themselves in a day or two.

Funnily enough I have Tomtom with all the locations updated weekly and trapster (a mobile phone app which uses internal or external bluetooth GPS) which is free.
and is constantly updated by other trapster users

Tinker

Guru

Posted: 01:48pm 08 Mar 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Karl, it makes me wonder why some people use heaps of expensive technology trying to avoid other expensive technology on the roadside .

Would it not be simpler (and cheaper) to just stick to the relevant speed limit?
Of course, there is no fun in doing that, is there?
Klaus

KarlJ

Guru

Posted: 04:24am 10 Mar 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

funny you should say that but out here in Aus they really are out there to make a buck.
out here 65km/hr in a 60k zone will cost you $125 AUD or about $100USD.

Quite regularly the traffic will flow at say 5-10k over the limit and (here in Vic on Warrigal Rd in peak hour) if your doing the posted limit you'll almost get run off the road.

its more about those irritating fines.

I have never been caught when speeding
-and i mean speeding!

But i have been caught a couple of times inadvertently doing 59 in a 50 zone (Spencer street city 4AM on a saturday) $128 and 1 point. -thought it was a 60zone!
Beach rd peak hour 63km/hr 60zone

you get the idea, they are just revenue raising and when you drive quick ish cars its pretty easy to do a handfull over by accident and not even notice as the cars are basically very quiet upto 160km/hr

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024