Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 19:34 05 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Electronics : Battery Analyser meter

dwyer
Guru

Posted: 08:56am 06 Mar 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi guy
Is anyone out there able to tell me where i am able to buy a Battery Analyser meter with a voltage and amp load tester for low voltage like 2 volt not 12 or 6 volt so i am able to test my AGM and Gel deep cycle batteries or is it better to build my own similar to the picture shown.

regard Dwyer

GWatPE

Posted: 09:56am 06 Mar 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Dwyer,

Your inverter with a max load will do. You should be able to hook up your volt meter to a suspect cell and switch on the load for a few secs. Any significant dip in the voltage, between cells will be apparent. You normally get an indication of battery performance, by kWhr in or out deviation from the manufactures specs.

The in battery cell monitoring I use on my LiPo test battery can be used on PB-acid cells as well. With a suitable current sensor, you can get data like this.

The spikey line is the current, on a windy day. Recharge is above the horizontal line.

One cell, white, in a problem pack is easily identified.

Gordon.

become more energy aware

Downwind

Guru

Posted: 02:13pm 06 Mar 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I would think with a bit of tinkering you would be able to alter the meter shown, to read a FSD of around 2 volts.

Do you have a photo of the internals of the meter.

Pete.
Sometimes it just works

KarlJ

Guru

Posted: 11:07pm 06 Mar 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

build your own would be very simple i'd think.
a set of jumper leads and a box with a few dumpload resistors like the ones we use for mills.
going to need alot of them and a fairly low resistance to get a current of say 50-100A at 2V, then just use a meter to measure the voltage drop.

What this will actually tell you about the condition of the battery I dont really know!

Tough to measure the Specific gravity of a sealed battery!
Luck favours the well prepared

dwyer
Guru

Posted: 12:22pm 26 May 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Crew
Just over month ago l brought Blackhawk batteries, Amp voltage tester from Tender Centre for $56 and since then, it has been sitting in my shed ever since and haven’t try to play with my ‘toy’ yet as I have been busy with other projects including working and hopefully I will test my batteries in few days time. However there is no workshop manual book and wonder if anyone has used this machine before as there is a lot of wires coming out with metal alligator clips and plugs.

Dwyer the bushman

matt down south

Posted: 02:54pm 05 Jun 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

that looks like a car/truck alternator/generator tester which should have a load resistor built in to it
matt

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024