Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 22:01 07 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Electronics : Blue Sea DC Power Distribution Panel

isaiah

Guru

Posted: 03:40am 11 May 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I picked up a Blue Sea DC Power Distribution Panel Model PN 8081
( www.bluesea.com. ) at a swap meet in the rain and when I got home I discovered it needed a shunt to make the amp meter work according to their instructions.
I contacted the manufacture and they replied that the shunt unit would cost about $16.00 more than I paid for the panel.This is too much for my budget So Im wondering If we could build in a inductive pick up for the amp meter? Something like the 8 & 9 n ford tractors used.
The panel has the volt meter and a Amp meter in it but the amp meter is not hooked to any thing.www.bluesea.com.
Im planning on using this panel in conjunction with my charge controller.
Any help will be appreciated.

URL=http://www.motherearthnews.com/Renewable-Energy/1973-11- 01/The-Plowboy-Interview.aspx>The Plowboy Interview[/URL>

VK4AYQ
Guru

Posted: 08:22am 11 May 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Isaiah

You can make a shunt out of a piece of 1/4 inch threaded rod. feed the main current through the rod from one end to the other a piece about eight inches long should work ok feed from end to end termination for the main power and connect the ammeter to the feed in end and place several nuts on the rod to terminate the second lead from the meter a short distance away, start with the meter leads close together and move them slowly apart to calibrate the meter, use a multimeter in series on the 10 amp scale to calibrate and a load of as close to ten amps as you can.

All the best

Bob
Foolin Around

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 11:56am 11 May 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Bobs idea is good, I use it on my power board.

( from this page ).

Its easy to adjust.

Glenn
The best time to plant a tree was twenty years ago, the second best time is right now.
JAQ

VK4AYQ
Guru

Posted: 12:57pm 11 May 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Gizmo

Thanks for that, as they say a picture is worth a thousand words, I was wondering if my gibberish could be interpreted and then you have a picture, Top Job.

All the best

Bob
Foolin Around

isaiah

Guru

Posted: 01:26pm 11 May 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thank you both for the reply and picture.''
Will this shunt put a constant drain on the main power source?
Bub 73 has a amp meter that he used back when he worked on automobiles that just clipped over the wire and would give a reading.Don't know just how it works .
We dug it out and put a new glass on the dial part and have used it for some testing
on the wind generators.
Ill see if I can get him to post a picture of it here.
This process will not drain on the power source.'
URL=http://www.motherearthnews.com/Renewable-Energy/1973-11- 01/The-Plowboy-Interview.aspx>The Plowboy Interview[/URL>

VK4AYQ
Guru

Posted: 02:11pm 11 May 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Isaiah

It only works when there is current flowing in the circuit as it is really a volt meter reading the slight voltage drop over the shunt resistor, all shunts cause a slight loss of power as they are a series resistor but not enough to worry about at the currents we use in our setups. As you would know all electron flow meets some resistance to flow by all parts of the active circuit. The inductive coupling you mention doesn't take power from the circuit just money from your pocket to buy the batteries to power it.

All the best

Bob
Foolin Around

Bub73

Posted: 05:43pm 11 May 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi all

Here are the pictures Isaiah was talking about. His panel and my old induction pickup meter about 50 years old and still very useful.
Sorry Bob no battery's required, I don't know just how it works but it always has.

Bob

isaiah

Guru

Posted: 03:45am 18 May 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Ok it seems we lost interest on this subject . Today I was parting out a old
Sears & Roebuck lawn mower and noticed it had a amp meter that works like Bubs test meter. This mower I dont think was over 10 yrs old. I have the meter but is in rough shape due to being out side the last several yrs .
There is just a piece of steel( Tin ) that is formed with two small slots to go over the lugs on the meter then it is formed like a piece of tubing to hold the wire. The wire just lays in this . If any one is interested Ill see if bub will put up some pictures of it. Looks like a easy way to hook up a amp gage?

VK4AYQ
Guru

Posted: 04:02am 18 May 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Isaiah

I have seen these type of ammeters over the years and the ones I have used where an indicator rather than a measuring device as the accuracy wasn't to good, the inductive principle they work on can be really good under controlled conditions but that's not the case usually,and the quality of the cheaper units is a bit suspect. They are more of an indication of current flow direction than a measurement of absolute units.

ALL THE BEST

Bob
Foolin Around

SSW_squall

Posted: 02:04pm 18 May 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I recently took apart the current meter in my old Mcormick international tractor, and i think it uses a compass needle like that one in the photo above...

The DC magnetic field around the cable repels or attracts the permanent magnet that is the needle.

AB
Einstein: Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024