Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 23:33 05 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Electronics : charge controller

rouge

Posted: 07:37pm 18 May 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi, charge controller questions seem pretty common on here, but alas I have one as well. So I am following the otherpower.com's book on building a wind turbine, and so far I have been able to build everything myself so far, I am starting to near completion. But I am having a difficult time figuring out what to do for a charge controller. I don't really want to buy a commercial one. But I am having a hard time figuring out a solution that will be able to handle a large amount of current. The home brew book that otherpower.com sells recommends that at the 24V system level that my devices be able to handle 60A of current. Can anyone point me in the right direction here?

Thanks in advance.

VK4AYQ
Guru

Posted: 04:18am 19 May 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Rouge

I have found that the dumpload that Gizmo has on this site works well as a regulator as once the batteries reach 27.5 volts It diverts to a load of your choice. Mine diverts to a grid feed inverter and at 28.5 it goes to a load to stop overvoltage should the mains go down. My dump load is a length of stainless steel wound into a coil and immersed in a 13 gal drum of waste oil, have to be sure you don't have any sparking joints though to set the oil on fire.

All the best

Bob

Foolin Around

Downwind

Guru

Posted: 04:32am 19 May 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Have a ferret around the front pages here as there is a lot of info to be had.

http://www.thebackshed.com/windmill/Contents.asp

Pete.
Sometimes it just works

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024