Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 20:11 05 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Electronics : induction heater levitation

imsmooth

Posted: 01:18am 10 Jun 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I posted a related topic some time ago. I have been working on an induction heater that could levitate and suspend molten copper and steel. For anyone that knows about induction heaters, this is very difficult. A professional unit costs about $10,000. It is not easy to make a stable, reliable 10kw unit in one's garage; however, I did it.

My first go I was able to melt metals. The second revision allowed me to levitate low-density metals like aluminum and copper tubing. The third revision is able to handle much more power.

You can see the video here.

This unit can melt steel in seconds.

Enjoy.

VK4AYQ
Guru

Posted: 02:36am 10 Jun 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Smoothy

Pretty impressive with a bit larger coil and a graphite crucible it would make a useful hobby foundry, not to mention a good hot water heater in the winter.

Top stuff mate. keep us informed we may have the first solar / wind powered foundry.

All the best

Bob
Foolin Around

Downwind

Guru

Posted: 09:14am 10 Jun 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Very clever.

I wonder how it would go melting metal off old circuit boards and if you could control the heat well enough to melt and extract different metals in a progressive process, like solder first and then pehaps gold or copper next.

Well done

Pete.

Sometimes it just works

Janne

Posted: 12:29pm 10 Jun 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi,

Once again absolutely brilliant, like always with your projects. That thing requires 3 phase power, right? I wonder if you will need to upgrade your main fuses for the next bigger one
If at first you don't succeed, try again.

My projects

imsmooth

Posted: 01:24pm 11 Jun 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Believe it or not, I am running this off of single phase.

Go here where I have a web tutorial explaing how I made it. I have to add a few pages for the final version as I am now using a microprocessor to control the resonance tracking.

Edited by imsmooth 2010-06-12

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024