Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 03:19 06 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Electronics : Inverter for renting people

Page 2 of 2    
Razzle

Posted: 02:25am 01 Jul 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Man you u guys are just talkin to each other now - and way over my head
What is AWT, AWP, MMP, SMPS?

This is just a hobby to me so I am likely to err on the side of safe and easy rather than risky and performance. Naturally I want the best i can but not at the expense of danger or considerable maintenance and the need for knowledge out of my depth. With this in mind i feel that it would be simpler for me and my limited electronics knowledge to rewire for lower voltages. I also want to wire in stages for various wind speeds and will look at maybe even staggering the star/delta switching. The smaller coil groups if i am correct may lessen the chance of overheating also.

Can anyone with their experience give an opinion on Savonius in comparison the Lenz. I wanted to do Lenz but from the videos i watch they seem to have quite a slow spin speed. The Savonius seem to have higher speeds but i am not sure if they will have the wind bite to deliver the required torque to do twin F&P motors. I could be talked into a VAWT with a rudder If I could figure out how it works.

Thanks, Darren.

VK4AYQ
Guru

Posted: 05:37am 01 Jul 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Sorry Darren

We had a safety discussion, as they felt I was leading you the wrong way with high voltage, and I think that for your "learning mill" as this is,they where right to point it out, low voltage would be better, as the hazards of using high voltage DC is high, even though it does have some efficiency advantages. So if you configure to a 12 or 24 volt system that's up to what you want to run of it, a set of caps and a 3 phase rectifier and away you go, as extracting the most out of it isn't the high priority at this time for you.

On the two rotor types they are both relativity slow but the Lenz has a better power recovery in terms of watts per wind speed. The Savonius is easier to build and can be made a bit bigger to allow for loss of efficiency, what that means is that whichever one makes you happy will do, its a personal choice.

Both have been discussed on the forum so I would suggest a forum search as there isn't any point in rehashing all the details in one post here.

The ones I have built, and are building now, have aerofoil blades that are more efficient, but much more complicated to build but have the advantage of running faster, however I wouldn't recommend them for a first project.

Once again sorry for the digression and tech discussion that wasn't relevant to your project.

All the best

Bob
Foolin Around

Andrew

Posted: 07:51am 01 Jul 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Darren
I to am a newbie to Homegrown power and after the fires in Kinglake we went for a feed in inverter (2KW) and 6 panels and when we contacted our retailer to put on the new smart meter they sent us a contract to singe but they only offered 19 cents per Kwh where the state Gov. said that they had to pay us 90 cents a Kwh so we still do not have a smart meter but I have brought a pair of inverters one as a spare on ebay (18000WATT PEAK 24V PURE SINEWAVE INVERTER 70A CHARGER item No 350369913582) and I am very happy with them. I also brought the 6rp1080 24 volt batteries to run the inverters you need to have a look at these inverters as they do all the work for you as they have an in built charger auto change over for a line in as in a generator with ATS auto start or grid power, and the list goes on have a look at the spec sheet.
Cheers Andrew

We survived the fires

Razzle

Posted: 07:48am 13 Jul 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Andrew.
Thanks for the info and glad to hear you survived ok over there.

Sorry for the late reply I have been a bit busy and sick and stuff.
The inverter looks great although maybe a little expensive for my current needs.

This inverter as I can see is not the type of inverter I require as it is not built for grid feed. It is a back up rather than a supplement, and has no islanding protection which is imperative for grid feed.
But thanks for the thought.

An update:
I now have three motors. Two are decogged. I am still awaiting my rectifiers. I hooked up one motor to a trailer light and got an idea of the sort of torque I’ll be dealing with - ouch!!

In between I just bough 216 solar cells for 6 upcoming panels.
does anyone know where i can get EVA encapsulant - i can't find it locally anywhere!!!

I recently watched a youtube vid with a guy hooking up one the grid feed inverters that I have been investigating and it worked great so I am a little excited to get things goin.

Chao for now.
Darren.

Page 2 of 2    
Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024