Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 22:54 07 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Electronics : Daily Kwh usage meter wanted

MickWh

Posted: 03:46am 22 Jul 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hey guys, I am in a off-grid solar powered house.

The regulator that I use for the solar panels has a Kwh meter to show how much the panels have generated so far today, also has info with regards to instant amps/watts going to the battery bank.

What I would really like is a meter on the usage side showing the same kinda of display. How much power has the house used so far today? Can I put another load of washing on or whatever. I imagine it would need to have a reset button to restart the meter.

I was wondering if the classic picaxe chip might be the perfect backbone for the circuit? something like Gizmo's windmill controller slightly modified??

Many thanks,

Michael.

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 04:18am 22 Jul 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Michael

The Piclog could be used to do that, but the Piclog needs a PC to record and process the data. Do you have a house PC thats running all the time?

A easier option might be to plug a power usage meter into the output of your inverter. Most electronics places sell them. This is the same as the one I bought from Jaycar

http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=MS6115

Glenn
The best time to plant a tree was twenty years ago, the second best time is right now.
JAQ

Downwind

Guru

Posted: 09:20am 22 Jul 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Glenn,

Why do Jaycar try to install cookies to my pc now you have posted this link?

That is without opening the link just opening this thread.

Pete.
Sometimes it just works

MickWh

Posted: 09:28am 22 Jul 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I have one of those jaycar style meters and it is great, but was thinking it might be a bit on the "dodgy" side to rewire the powerbox to run the whole house through basically an extension cord that plugs into the power meter.

Just had the idea of taking the unit apart to see if that might be an option.

I do have a laptop that runs a bit, but certainly not all day.

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 09:47am 22 Jul 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

No idea Pete, it would just be some kind of analytics cookie or product popularity cookie. Just about every web site uses cookies these days, including this one.

A cookie on a product would be used to see if there is any ongoing interest in that product. By having a cookie, it means they would know that someone has looked at the product more than once.

Cookies are really so harmless its ridiculous. They can not be used to identify you, your OS, you country, anything. All they do is store a snippet of their info on your PC. For example, the cookie from this forum simply tells the server that user such and such has been here before and they want to be automatically logged in please.

Glenn
The best time to plant a tree was twenty years ago, the second best time is right now.
JAQ

RossW
Guru

Posted: 11:55am 23 Jul 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Gizmo said  Cookies are really so harmless its ridiculous. They can not be used to identify you, your OS, you country, anything. All they do is store a snippet of their info on your PC. For example, the cookie from this forum simply tells the server that user such and such has been here before and they want to be automatically logged in please.

Far from a fact.

They may be harmless in and of themselves, but they can most certainly store information and more importantly, be coerced to reveal that information to people and in circumstances you may not be aware of or appreciate.

Generally however, they are as you say benign. But then, generally kitchen knives don't kill people either.

readyakira

Posted: 12:09pm 23 Jul 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I think what downwind was saying is he didn't go to jaycars site. This site tried to put a jaycar cookie on his comp. It is probably embedded in the pic Pete. Like when you open an email and it says some pics were blocked. They use cookies in pics to monitor where they are, who sees em, and how often.
Don't you think Free/Renewable energy should be mandatory in new buildings?

RossW
Guru

Posted: 12:17am 24 Jul 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

readyakira said   I think what downwind was saying is he didn't go to jaycars site. This site tried to put a jaycar cookie on his comp. It is probably embedded in the pic Pete. Like when you open an email and it says some pics were blocked. They use cookies in pics to monitor where they are, who sees em, and how often.

Cookies are not "embedded in" images.

The image of the power-meter from jaycar is in fact a LINK TO the jaycar site:

http://www.jaycar.com.au/products_uploaded/productLarge_9554 .jpg

If the image were downloaded and sent to the forum as an image in its own right, this wouldn't have been an issue, but there are then copyright and similar issues.

Downwind

Guru

Posted: 02:31am 24 Jul 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I dont really care, i just hate things trying to shove cookies onto my pc.
You dont realize to the extent this happens until you turn off excepting cookies.

I find very little difference in viewing sites when i refuse their cookies, but you get harassed by them trying to get you to except cookies.

I think of my computers well being, and too many cookies will make it fat and slow

Or you might say its like a dog marking its teritorry in cyber space.

Pete.

Sometimes it just works

RossW
Guru

Posted: 06:01am 24 Jul 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Downwind said   I dont really care, i just hate things trying to shove cookies onto my pc.
You dont realize to the extent this happens until you turn off excepting cookies.

1. I didn't put the image there.
2. I didn't try to shove the cookies up your pc
3. As someone who lives internet security for a job, I'm absolutely cognisant of
the extent and impact.

I find very little difference in viewing sites when i refuse their cookies, but you get harassed by them trying to get you to except cookies.

A properly constructed site shouldn't be affected at all (for this type of use)

Downwind

Guru

Posted: 07:14am 24 Jul 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Ross,

My comments were not directed at you, and was only a my view of every site wanting me to except cookies regardless of if i want them or not.

Pete.
Sometimes it just works

Robb

Posted: 03:50am 25 Jul 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I don't know what browser you have but on firefox you can set it to clear all cookies each time you exit the program. Its a good way to make sure you remember your password Alternativly just hit ctrl shift delete and clear what you want any time.

Phil73

Posted: 10:06am 29 Jul 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Michael,

We have an efergy energy meter. A transmitter sits in our meterbox which has a cord and a clip thing that you clip around the mains cables. A small lcd display in the house shows our current, and past history energy use. Not sure if this is what you were after or something more advanced. Ours does seem to work quite well we have had it about 12months. Just google efergy energy meter, I got ours off ebay.

Phil.

Don B

Posted: 07:59am 30 Jul 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Michael,

Putting the lid on the cookie jar for the moment, you don't indicate whether your house runs on 240V AC (ie through an inverter), or on DC. Presuming it is AC, then very inexpensive supply authority type kilowatt hour meters are available out of China, and you should have a look at the offerings on Alibaba.com.

These are not the clip on kind, and you have to read them directly (rather than the remotely read efergy unit described as in the previous post), but they are affordable.

If your house runs on DC, then it becomes a lot more complicated, although the measurement is actually much simpler. Its just that there is no big demand for DC kwh meters.

Regards
Don B

MickWh

Posted: 10:50am 30 Jul 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thanks Don, wow a lot of options at Alibaba.com, house runs on AC.

Don't mind the non clip in version of meters, I guess my main problem is the "resetablity" of the meter.
I seen the wired in versions before but my impression is that they are more aimed to measure the usage of a week or month of rental property. This tends to lead them to have less specific detail of a daily "so far" use.

Thanks, will keep scrolling.

Loomberah

Posted: 03:22pm 05 Aug 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I use one of these, which works very well.

RPC kWh meter

It displays to 0.01kWh, I log it each morning along with my charging controller etc, and can easily keep track of daily usage on a spreadsheet.Edited by Loomberah 2010-08-07
Loomberah weather +solar&UV, astronomy, photography, organic farm

ledsales

Posted: 06:12am 09 Aug 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

There's a heap of options for energy meters, including the powermates from shop.ata.org.au and the din rail mount kWh meters like the one listed above, but you can get them a lot cheaper if you look around (try ebay).

The Jaycar meters are crap, hate to say, we tried them out and they were hopelessly inaccurate to the tune of several hundred % on some loads. They don't handle loads with poor power factor well at all, and the PF listed by the meter is often way out as well.

There's plenty of clip-on meters as well, try www.smartnow.com.au for some interesting units, but there's many others.

Just remember that the clip-on meters only measure current, they can't differentiate between real and reactive power (to do that you need real time voltage and current measuring and integration), so they display higher than correct readings for any device with a PF less than 1. If you don't know what power factor is, google it...

KarlJ

Guru

Posted: 01:39am 15 Aug 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I find the effergy is a better small cost effective unit that has enough to satisfy me as a daily read device.
Its voltage is adjustable 220/230/240/250 etc
this means you can set it up to be pretty accurate, my local grid is 250V+ most of the time but the SMARTNOW ENVI unit i have doesnt have an adjustable Voltage thus is set at 230V, this makes its figures seriously distorted.

It does however have a saving grace and that is PC connectivity and it works with google powermeter (which currently doesnt support both generation and production)
and other software allows you to correct the errors (whats being read on its screen is still in error).

Then there is a TREC which I found quite useless as it logs nothing.

Karl
Luck favours the well prepared

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024