Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 04:13 08 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Electronics : Self Guided Wind Turbine

junioroo7

Posted: 10:37am 06 Aug 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hello ,

Did anybody thinked about a project with picaxe to make a self guided wind turbine. Replace the tail with a servo motor and a circuit board that can read data from an anenometer .
So the anenometer will indicate the wind speed the direction of wind. So if possible to program the circuit board to keep the wind turbine stady in case of suden change of wind . And a tempo relay that will be sattle lets say at 1 min . In case wind change for more then 1 minute , then the wind turbine will move after wind.

Becouse are many times when there are suden wind changes for small period of time and makes your wind turbine to furl and reduce speed a lot.
Plus it can be use as a safe guard that can get the wind turbine out of the wind when storms starts .

Downwind

Guru

Posted: 11:54am 06 Aug 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

No1... how much crap do you want up the top of a tower
No2... what happens when the micro has a hicup.
No3.... it has all be thought of before....see no1 & no2.

The problem with using a micro for control is, what happens when the micro goes out for lunch.........mill reaches self destruct mode.

A mechanical system is almost fail proof and has proven its worth for decades now.
Unless you are one of the big boys with $$$$$$$$$$ to have multi backup systems it is a design waiting for a failure.

Like many here that has worked with micros for some time we know they are not bullet proof and can be upset from many a reason.

It is like asking would you state your life on a picaxe.....answer ...no way!!

I understand your thinking but it is the lack of understanding of what happens when a controlling system fails that is the weak link here.

Many of battery control systems have been built around a picaxe and many have failed.

You just need to look at how a micro preforms in a noisy enviroment like when used in a car to see the unwanted effects they can have, and a mill enviroment can be as bad as it can get.

If you doubt me here, check the UK picaxe forum for simular situations and it will keep you busy reading for a week or two.

Pete.

Sometimes it just works

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024