Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 14:44 07 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Electronics : MPPT charge controllers

Shelly

Posted: 07:39pm 06 Aug 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi,
Has anyone had any experience with BZ (American), Wellsee (Chinese) or Blue Sky (American I think) MPPT charge controllers? Also are the extra electronics worth it? At the moment I have a static panel mount but am going to build a 1 or 2 axis tracker. I'm not sure if it will but 2 axis as the engineering is much more difficult and a single axis seems to be much more stable.
Any comments gratefully received.
Thanks.

neil0mac

Posted: 10:11pm 06 Aug 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Shelly said   Hi,
At the moment I have a static panel mount but am going to build a 1 or 2 axis tracker. I'm not sure if it will but 2 axis as the engineering is much more difficult and a single axis seems to be much more stable.

Your 'engineering' is a bit difficult to determine, not knowing what size system/location/design paramaters etc.

I am just finishing building a (single axis)tracker frame for a 5 - 8KW (20 - 30 plus panel system)and it has far more engineering (and construction time) than the additional second axis will need, simply because it has to have the strength to survive the environment. (But then the frame (basically a isosceles triangular prism) lying on a rectangular face, does have a 2.500 diagonal 'face', with triangulated internal supports.) The second axis is equally unconventional, but it could simply be done by using a normal linear actuator.

Loomberah

Posted: 04:36pm 07 Aug 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I use a BlueSky SB-50 (24V) which has 945W of PV plus a 200W Chinese WTG conected to it. Also occasionally a 30A truck alternator when there is no sun in winter, which the SB-50 improves to about 1kW output thanks to the MPP tracking letting the alternator run at a higher voltage.
It does improve PV output significantly in cooler conditions, up to about 30% in my experience, but that tapers back to not much at all under very hot conditions when the batteries are near full charge.

There's no reason a single axis tracker has to be more stable than a 2 axis unit, its just a matter of constructing it properly. The Solenergy single axis tracker I bought which currently has 5 panels on it, is nowhere near as stable as my home built equatorial tracker with 12 panels. The new ~2kW alt-azimuth tracker I am building will be much stronger again.
Loomberah weather +solar&UV, astronomy, photography, organic farm

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024