Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 00:09 08 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Electronics : Super Capacitor Battery

Downwind

Guru

Posted: 01:49am 13 Aug 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Last night on the ABC program Catalyst they covered the super capacitor/battery being developed by the CSIRO.

Very interesting article.

You can view the short video here

http://www.abc.net.au/catalyst/stories/2981298.htm

Pete.
Sometimes it just works

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 11:54am 13 Aug 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Pete

Yeah I saw that too. About 2 years ago I was lucky enough to attend a talk by one of the senior CSIRO members involved with the super batteries development, very interesting. The battery is small, but has the power of a much larger battery, and a longer life. And it still uses the same old lead acid configuration we have been using for the last 150 years, plus carbon for the super capacitor. No exotic minerals needed.

Glenn

The best time to plant a tree was twenty years ago, the second best time is right now.
JAQ

adonis

Posted: 06:07pm 19 Aug 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I agree, very interesting!
in a comment below the article someone say that capacitors are inefficient (when charged). is that true? i thought they could be very efficient. not only that they can deliver high power but also as energy storage devices.
i thought that capacitors is a good candidate as the next generation of batteries.
please set me straight!

VK4AYQ
Guru

Posted: 12:19am 20 Aug 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Adonis

I experimented with caps in parallel with batteries years ago and the results where quite good, only the making of them was a bit difficult, and they where very large, this new development looks promising from a size point of view.

I found it was quite efficient as there isn't a voltage differential loss as in a battery, it made the regenerative braking more effective, due to the ability to absorb energy easier than a battery, and the battery ran cooler as the spikes of energy came from the capacitor and the steady load energy came from the battery. My system was low voltage max 60 DC so I think that they would be more effective on a higher voltage system as the stored energy would be much greater for the same size capacitor.

All the best

Bob
Foolin Around

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024