Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 21:21 07 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Electronics : Grid tie hook-up

colray

Posted: 05:23am 27 Aug 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi everyone, another newbie here,
I intend to hook-up both PV panels and wind power to the grid in Qld, and would appreciate any help offered. Given that there are grid tie inverters with multiple inputs I'm wondering if I can feed power from an F&P generator into one without a battery system. Any ideas on the the best wiring configuration of the many available that gives the most suitable inverter input voltage , in average wind conditions,light to moderate mostly, for a not-so-fast vawt? I am making one at present and will have an idea soon as to output power with the 7phase 2x3C set-up. Also, I can easily run two F&P motors off the one vawt to increase output power. Can I connect the two together through a common rectifier bank, or is it best to rectify separately and feed into different inputs? A local firm has a 2KW PV array, comprising 11x185W panels plus a grid tie inverter for $5,400. They say it averages about 7.5 to 8KW/hrs output per day, which will just about meet my needs; The wind system is both a project and a means of recouping money if I can send enough back to the grid.
techonogical misfit

KarlJ

Guru

Posted: 08:58am 29 Aug 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Only way it will work is with a PVE 2500.
for that you would need batteries and a turbine controller.

My suggestion get the 2KW Pv and do the turbine separatley with a PVE 1200 at $1600.
use a turbine controller at another $600 and you're done.

PV and wind cant be done on the inveerter unless you run batteries and disable the MPPT tracking function (read undesirable) hence 2 rigs is the only way to go.

Not many of us have done it, its expensive and with a VAWT I'm thinking it will never pay for itself, makes a good hobby though.

Here is what I would do.
Get a $2000 1.5KW pv system through NU energy.
leave it alone.

Get on ebay buy ~160AH x 48V (like mine 80AH x 8 x 12V SLA's ~$600.
Buy a PVE 1200 ~$1600 buy 4 x 185W panels $2200.

Get the turbine up.
The solar panels will make some use of the inverter whilst the sun is shining
you end up with 2.2KW pv and whatever the turbine makes.

Cost $2000 for the 1.5KW
$4600 for the 740W of PV with the inverter to suit wind
plug and play at will at 48V (legal for non-spark to do)

Karl

Luck favours the well prepared

colray

Posted: 09:44pm 30 Aug 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Karl,
thanks for your reply. It seems like my proposal is a bit unrealistic economically and practically, more so as the area I'm in doesn't get much wind for long periods; the sun is very consistent though. the pv system I was quoted comprises a bank of 11 in series fed straight to the grid via an inverter, which I gather is the simplest arrangement. No use in a power blackout, but saves on batteries. I know somewhere I can get 6x 450a/hr recond gell cells for $2000, good as new virtually, so I'm tempted to follow your suggestions, but I'll wait until I finish the wind turbine to decide if it is worth pursuing. The F&P 60sp set up with two generators on the one shaft, decogged of course, should give sufficient output in low winds to make it all viable if there is enough wind, so I'll have to monitor it for a while. Thanks heaps.
Colray
techonogical misfit

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024