Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 05:57 08 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Electronics : DC printer Motor

Gary

Posted: 04:29pm 29 Aug 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hello everyone,
I know it's been a long time for me since I've logged on. I have been busy making a new wind mill. I got most of the mechanical stuff worked out.I need a little info if someone can help, it would be well appreciated. I'm trying to convert an old printer motor into a generator. Can someone explain or point me into the right direction on how to convert 6 wires down to 3? Ok, I was told to use a mulimeter and test the resistance of all the wires and combine the same wires with the same resistance together, is this right?

Thanks,
Gary
Gary2010

Bub73

Posted: 05:23pm 29 Aug 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Gary;

Got a photo of the motor ?
It sounds like a 6 wire 2 phase stepper motor, if so 2 of the leads will likely be center taps and not used.
The other 4 wires can be wired in series or parallel for best AC output then rectified.
Just Google stepper motor basics and you should come up with some wiring info.

Bob

Gary

Posted: 06:26pm 29 Aug 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Bob,
I uploaded some pics of the wind mill for you.
Is there some way to use all of the windings in the motor?

Gary
Gary2010

Bub73

Posted: 07:19pm 29 Aug 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Here is a pic I found on the net sometime ago maybe it will help.

Bob

Downwind

Guru

Posted: 03:15am 30 Aug 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

As shown in the post from Bob the 6 wire motor will have 4 outputs used.

If you use your multimeter and check the resistance you should find 2 sets of coils.

Each coil having 3 wires, you want the 2 wire for each coil that gives the highest resistance reading.

The unused wire should give about half the resistance compared to the other 2 wires.

Pete.
Sometimes it just works

Bub73

Posted: 03:34am 30 Aug 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Here is a photo of my 6 wire scanner motor; it and a 5 watt solar panel keep a 12 volt car battery up enough to run my led yard light.
The two phases are wired in series to bring the voltage up, in a good breeze it will output about half an amp.

Have fun
Bob

Downwind

Guru

Posted: 10:32am 30 Aug 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Now the G clamp looks a little tacky Bob.

Whats the globe in the light, as it looks rather bright.

Pete.
Sometimes it just works

Bub73

Posted: 03:16pm 30 Aug 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Pete;

The globe is a standard 110 volt led bulb that went bad and I converted it to 12 volt
and used jumbo led's and defused them by cutting the tops flat and drilling a counter bore into the flat on top; the camera flash may be reflecting off the reflector in back of the globe in the photo also.
The G clamp is one of those temporary things that still works fine, may fix it when the weather breaks its been near a 100F degrees here for some time.

Got to run my brothers ac just went out.
Bob

isaiah

Guru

Posted: 01:50am 01 Sep 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Humm''
Thats where my G clamp went. used it there the last time when I put in the new rectifier Aragon gas .must of left it there''
BTW I got the Air Conditioner going again the same day.
Was over 100 deg most of the day. well im drifting off subject.
URL=http://www.motherearthnews.com/Renewable-Energy/1973-11- 01/The-Plowboy-Interview.aspx>The Plowboy Interview[/URL>

sum_guy55

Posted: 11:43am 01 Sep 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Just Connected up a 6 wire stepper and spun it up to 33,000 rpm with my dremel and got 299 volts!

Downwind

Guru

Posted: 03:25pm 01 Sep 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Be carefull as it might be a small generator, but at that rpm/voltage it is enough to KILL you.
This is often overlooked by the home tinker, and some day some darn fool is going to find this out the hard way.

It will be a different story on a windmill and would think 100 to 200 rpm would be more realistic.

I really fail to see what your test above proved (other than being foolish), except what we all already know, higher rpm = higher volts.

Pete.
Sometimes it just works

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024