Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 22:09 16 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Electronics : Shunt Regulators

Highlander

Posted: 06:44pm 10 Oct 2006
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

G'day guys,
electronics are my weak point so can you help me a little?
With a the k220 the directions are to connect the mill direct to the batteries and run the shunt reg off the batteries.
Does this mean that there is a constant load on the mill?
Or does it only cause a load when the mill reaches the same or higher voltage of the batteries?
I'm guessing the second option.
Also I posted a question regarding off board wiring for mosfets in the general page but only glen replied.
He said it looks like my drawing was right.
Can anyone who has a k220 confirm this?

Central Victorian highlands

Gill

Posted: 08:29pm 10 Nov 2006
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Sorry old mate, not quite right. Check out the corrected sketch. Mosfet Gate and Battery + have seperate connections. ( Though I recon you'd have picked up the error when wireing up. )
Edited by Gill 2006-11-12
was working fine... til the smoke got out.
Cheers Gill _Cairns, FNQ

Highlander

Posted: 08:45pm 10 Nov 2006
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Gill, excellent!
Thanks for the help mate, electronics are definately not my forte. Can't see the pic, I tried to upload one before with no luck, maybe problem at the server.
I'll have another look later.
Central Victorian highlands

Gill

Posted: 09:11pm 10 Nov 2006
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

As to the load quiry, The gen is (should be) under load at all times so that it doesn't overspeed and throw itself apart. Firstly it is under load by the empty battery sucking up it's energy, (this happens when the gen voltage exceeds the batteries) then as the battery charges up it reduces it's load on the gen.
So we introduce a second load (at 15v)for the gen to dump it's energy into. The regulators purpose is to do the 'shunting' to the second load.
In addition to maintaining the load on the gen, this switching in of the second load, dumps off the excess energy and stops the batteries overcharging. In fact this is it's primary function.
Hope thats been of some help.

was working fine... til the smoke got out.
Cheers Gill _Cairns, FNQ

ozetrade

Posted: 08:44am 14 Nov 2006
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Highlander,

You might find some info towards the end of this thread relevant also....Edited by ozetrade 2006-11-15
Greg
Just North of Brisbane in Redcliffe
OZeTrade.net

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024