Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 18:10 29 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Electronics : ohm meter

kingw

Posted: 07:49pm 19 Nov 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

howdy gents,

my friend has some schematics and was curious what he would need to alter to change this meter to top out at 15 ohms. i figured it might be a cinch for you guys, any help is appreciated.

the file looks like it has some little spelling errors etc, and if the key is in the diagrams at the bottom any basic explanation is nice.

thanks!

b 2010-11-20_054741_LA9IHA_Milli.pdf
-kingw

GWatPE

Posted: 10:19pm 19 Nov 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I am all for meters, but I find that anyone who is building power supplies will already have a power supply of some sorts, and a volt meter and amp meter. I use a power supply capable of supplying at least 1amp. connect the unknown resistance across it with some clip leads. accurately measure the current through the resistance, and the voltage directly across the ends of the resistance, not on the clip leads.

R=V/I

Can't get simpler than that. Works down to within the accuracy of the volt meter, and amp meter.

If resistance of less than 1mohm is needed, then just use a higher current. Most digital multimeters read down to 0.1mV. Overcomes lead resistance measurement errors as well.

Gordon.

become more energy aware

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 10:24pm 19 Nov 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi kingw

I would change the R3 resistor to a single 18ohm resistor, instead of the 3 12ohm and 1 18ohm resistors in parallel. Thats should work, but I would also put a 1k resistor in series with the meter, so it doesn't burn out if you sort out the RX resistor.

But I think a better way to go would be buy a cheap digital multimeter. A $10 multimeter will have a 200 ohm range, and will measure up to 15 ohms reasonably accurately. The test leads will have some resistance, about 0.3 ohms, but once you know this, just subtract it from the meter reading.

Glenn
The best time to plant a tree was twenty years ago, the second best time is right now.
JAQ

kingw

Posted: 11:00pm 19 Nov 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thank you gents!
-kingw

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024