Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 02:32 30 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Electronics : Gizmo’s charge controller

syntax

Posted: 08:18pm 19 Nov 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi,

I started gathering all of the parts, but i have some problems with the hall sensor, and the mosfets... i can't get them from anywhere.

Can you recommend something instead of RFP40N10? I think IRF1310NPBF should do the job but i have same situation with that.

The other thing is the Hall sensor... can't find UGN3503U anywhere so can you recommend something instead of that too?

I think i will have some really newb questions later if you don't mind :)

Best wishes,
Syntax

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 10:45pm 19 Nov 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Syntax

Yes the IRF1310NPBF should work fine.

The UGN3505U based current sender in that controller is OK, but its not the most accurate. Other hall sensors should work, so long as its got a analogue output ( many are switched output, either on or off ), and a 5 volt supply requirement.
I would also suggest you go for a Alegro current sensor chip instead.

http://www.allegromicro.com/en/Products/Design/current_senso rs/index.asp

http://www.allegromicro.com/en/Products/Part_Numbers/0750/07 50-050.pdf

I now use one of these Alegro chips on my controller and am very happy with it compared to the original UGN3505U circuit.

Glenn
The best time to plant a tree was twenty years ago, the second best time is right now.
JAQ

GWatPE

Posted: 06:00am 20 Nov 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi syntax,

There are other options for Hall effect current sensors.

Here are some photos of the the ones I now use.

These are 0-30A devices. They include a small PCB and do not have the problem of lead breakage like the Alegro. I mount the PCB in the wire, and have a 3core screened fly lead going back to the micro. I use 3pin plug and PCB header.

These are ACS715 components.

PS the chip is not designed to be removed from the PCB, and there are different current ratings available, including bi directional units. The 0-30A has a 0-5V output.

Gordon.

become more energy aware

syntax

Posted: 10:21am 20 Nov 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Gizmo,GwatPE,

Thank you for the information... I'll check the prices, because I live in europe, and don't really want to pay much more than something similar component which I can order from Europe.

Massechusets is a bit far from here... if I can find something in UK or any european country that would be nice... because the shipping costs are much more than the price of a single mosfet or hall sensor. If I buy 100 mosfets from US maybe then it worth the shipping from US.

Sorry for my "basic" english :)

By the way... is Allegro A1301 similar to UGN3503U ?

Best wishes,
Syntax

Downwind

Guru

Posted: 01:01pm 20 Nov 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

syntax

Take this from someone that has tried many different sensors, and also the recommendation Gizmo and Gordon gave you.

The controller is only as good as the sensor, and if you use a rubbish sensor than you will have a rubbish controller.

Glenn has tried many things and has shown home builds and bought products within his projects, and if he recommends with time a pucharced part to a home built one then there is often a very good reason for it.

To try to save a few coins on a reliable sensor is foolish when considered everything evolves around the sensors ability.

Run a few searches and you will find a source for the alegro's on a local market.

You could try "Farnell" for starters, as they are europe based. (they will also have the Fets)

Pete.
Sometimes it just works

GWatPE

Posted: 01:11pm 20 Nov 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi syntax,

I would not be going for the 3pin hall effect sensor, that has to be built into say a powdered iron core, and then calibrated.[saturation of the core and non linearity play a part as well] The small item I mentioned is already calibrated and ready for use. They are available by mail order, individually from a company called "little bird" electronics. price is $10.85AU.

check this link search for acs715, and others are available. These are Alegro devices pre mounted on a PCB.

Gordon.

Edited by GWatPE 2010-11-21
become more energy aware

syntax

Posted: 01:11pm 20 Nov 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Downwind said  
You could try "Farnell" for starters, as they are europe based. (they will also have the Fets)

Hi,

Thanks for the advice, and i tried to get RFP40N10 and UGN3503U from there, but they don't have any...

Check THIS for UGN3503U,
and
THIS for RFP40N10 availability.

So there IS a reason why I ask Gizmo to help me, and make a suggestion about what is similar to those products.

Syntax

syntax

Posted: 01:48pm 20 Nov 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi GWatPE,

ACS715 would be nice but only one of them with shipping costs 90$. I contune looking for it, maybe other stores nearby have that product.

Thank you for your advice.

Best wishes,
Syntax

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024