Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 00:50 30 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Electronics : USB Data Logger in SC Magazine

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 12:29pm 25 Nov 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Picked up the December 2010 issue of Silicon Chip magazine today. There's a new project that might be of interest, a data logger that records to a memory card, and can be powered with a couple of AAA batteries.

It can store up to 32GB of data onto a memory card ( MMC, SD, SDHC ), and draws a couple of mA, so will run on batteries for weeks. It has a USB port to transfer data with a PC. There are 6 digital and 4 analogue inputs, and real time clock.

Its a multipart project, this month was just a introduction to its features. If its cheap enough, it might make a fantastic windmill/solar logger for remote locations, or in situations where you dont want to run a PC 24/7 to record the data.

Will keep an eye on it.

Glenn
The best time to plant a tree was twenty years ago, the second best time is right now.
JAQ

Downwind

Guru

Posted: 02:57pm 25 Nov 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Sounds very interesting, do it say what the processor is? (pic, picaxe, atmel)

Looked at the Mag on a counter today but that was all, didn't pick it up for a scan through

Pete.
Sometimes it just works

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 09:56pm 25 Nov 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Its a Pic Pete. Pre-programmed I guess, it sounds like it has support for its own scripting language. You can put a script onto the SD card, to control how the logger will behave. Very interresting.

Glenn
The best time to plant a tree was twenty years ago, the second best time is right now.
JAQ

vasi

Guru

Posted: 08:07pm 09 Dec 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Gizmo said  It can store up to 32GB of data onto a memory card ( MMC, SD, SDHC ), and draws a couple of mA, so will run on batteries for weeks. It has a USB port to transfer data with a PC. There are 6 digital and 4 analogue inputs, and real time clock.Glenn

It use 32bit FAT or it use direct access to memory card via SPI interface. I think is the last variant if it needs to send the memory card content to the PC through USB cable. If this is the only way of sending data to PC, then I suppose the memory card can't be read by PC in a normal way...

We have in JAL a MMC/SD card library but we don't have an usable "Append" function (yet) .
Hobbit name: Togo Toadfoot of Frogmorton
Elvish name: Mablung Miriel
Beyound Arduino Lang

vasi

Guru

Posted: 08:17pm 09 Dec 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Gizmo said   Its a Pic Pete. Pre-programmed I guess, it sounds like it has support for its own scripting language. You can put a script onto the SD card, to control how the logger will behave. Very interresting.

Glenn

Then it have a normal FAT file system and the PIC is bigger than 18F2550/4550... I'm afraid is a 3.3V system?
Hobbit name: Togo Toadfoot of Frogmorton
Elvish name: Mablung Miriel
Beyound Arduino Lang

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024