Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 22:59 29 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Electronics : F&P auto switch series/parallel

andrewgee

Posted: 03:33am 28 Nov 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

just wondering if anyone was interested in doing this as well ... I have a cct I think will work, but it's untested as yet.

and

(yes, that is a lunchbox, they are cheaper than jiffys.

Andrew.
Andrew G

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 03:46am 28 Nov 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Andrew

Yeah I think that will work, but, why not rectify the AC's into two DC's, and then use just one relay to switch the DC feeds between parallel and serial. Its more rectifiers, but less relays ( moving parts ).

The only thing to watch with plastic lunch boxes is some of them dont like UV. I left one on the parcel tray of my car and it lasted a month before falling apart.

Glenn
The best time to plant a tree was twenty years ago, the second best time is right now.
JAQ

AMACK

Posted: 10:09am 28 Nov 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Glenn, I would like to know what the sandwitch were like after a month in that lunch box?

AMACKEdited by AMACK 2010-11-29
*Note to self

1. Make it thick

2.Make it heavy.

3.Make it stronger than it should be.

4. Don't rush the first job as the second job will cost more and take mor

GWatPE

Posted: 12:37pm 28 Nov 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Andrew,

I would not bother about copyright, as series/parallel and star/delta have all been done by someone else, and you would be in fact infringing on someone else's idea. The only thing you have is the right to the use of the pen on the paper in the particular way you have drawn the picture, and the copyright on the art.

On a note with the arrangement you have. I do not know of any windmill that responds well to the abrupt changes in loading that is presented by the series/parallel windings.

There will always be long term reliability issues with having so many contacts, and if any one becomes resistive, or fuses, then a potential runaway mill, or damaged winding may result.

If you are in doubt about how many times the relays would be expected to operate, I could run some numbers on my own mill for a day and let you know. I asssure you that mechanical relays will wear out quite quickly. SSRelays are an option, but only if you rectify each block and series/parallel, the rectified outputs with isolated SSRelays. You will need 4 SSRelays.

Keep the windings in parallel and use an AC cap doubler. At least this will give a seamless transition of power as the rpm increases.

Gordon.

become more energy aware

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024