Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 23:59 29 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Electronics : Analogue meter symbols ?

Greenthumbs

Posted: 10:27am 28 Dec 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi everyone,
I was wondering if anyone out there knows what the symbols on the front of analogue meters mean?
Is there a web page which explains them?
This is a maximum demand amp meter.
The markings 15min means the needle on the right is the average amps over 15min.
The red needle is the maximum amps ever recorded since reset and the needle in the curved windows is the current amp reading.

But I don't know what the other symbols mean.
I can not find any info on the symbols on the net so I was wondering if anyone else could help.

Regard
Damo

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 11:46am 28 Dec 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I think this is a bi-metal strip meter. The symbol that looks like a black and white line on top of each other, bent up in the middle, could mean bi-metal. The symbol to the far left could be its heating element.

Bi-metal meters are common for measuring current where a fast response time isn't needed. Most 20 year plus old cars use them for their fuel/temp guage, which is why the guage take a few seconds to drop back when you turn the ignition off.

Glenn
The best time to plant a tree was twenty years ago, the second best time is right now.
JAQ

Tinker

Guru

Posted: 02:01pm 28 Dec 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Further to what Gizmo said, the symbol to the right of the bi-metal bit tells the meter is for AC, 3 phase, the upside down 'T' means its for vertical mounting only and the '2' inside the star says it has a 2KV test rating.

I have not come across bi metal meters for a long time, I might dig out my old text book I kept from technical college many years ago and refresh my memory what all these symbols mean. Nowadays with digital meters so common the symbols on analogue meters are becoming ancient knowledge.
BTW, I think the '1.5' means the meters accuracy, 1.5% of full scale deflection.
Klaus

brucedownunder2
Guru

Posted: 08:52pm 28 Dec 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thanks Guys ,,,, I spent at least 1-2 hours yesterday on the internet and IRC trying to locate a explanation of these strange symbols. There seems to be lots of them ,maybe the manufacturers make up their own symbols years ago . Strange that none of these symbols are to be found on Google.

I got that nice meter reading yesterday variable power supply set around 11volts and a variable 5k Ohm trim pot ..Thanks Ross .

Bruce.
Bushboy

vasi

Guru

Posted: 10:17pm 28 Dec 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

brucedownunder2 said  ... Strange that none of these symbols are to be found on Google. ...

Well, you can find them now

Good to know these things. Old technical agenda are gold.

Vasi
Hobbit name: Togo Toadfoot of Frogmorton
Elvish name: Mablung Miriel
Beyound Arduino Lang

Greenthumbs

Posted: 02:35am 29 Dec 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hmmm text books, now that is a good idea I have plenty of them in the back room. Hadn't thought of that. Once upon a time they did use paper to make books.

I shall retrieve them and look

Thanks Glenn and Klaus

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024