Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 19:04 05 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Electronics : Inputs to a charge controller

Sutek

Posted: 01:30am 05 Jan 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I have a newbie novice question about the solar panels and charge controller i recently bought. My question is can i hookup more than one input to the charge controller without damaging the solar panel. I have a generator with a 12v output and was hoping i could attach it to the input for the charge controller along with the solar panels
THanks in advance
Cal
"OK, lets call that Plan B"

Tinker

Guru

Posted: 01:18pm 05 Jan 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Solar panels usually have a diode fitted which will prevent any back feed from your other inputs to the charge controller. Do check if your panels have a diode fitted.

I'm wondering why you want to feed your generator through the charge controller? Is its 12V output not good enough to feed your batteries directly?
Klaus

VK4AYQ
Guru

Posted: 03:48am 06 Jan 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Cal

It is not a good idea to feed a generator through the charge controller because the voltage sensing of the controller will just cut off the generator and nothing is achieved, connect the generator direct to the batteries.

Also the hash on a generator may damage the regulator as they are designed to take a smooth DC from solar panels not spiky voltage from a generator.

All the best

Bob
Foolin Around

Sutek

Posted: 06:45am 20 Jan 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hey Klaus, Bob,
Thanks for the advice, i'll just connect the generator directly to the battery
Cheers
Cal
"OK, lets call that Plan B"

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024