Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 21:31 05 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Electronics : 2v desulphater

mid north Matt

Posted: 01:26pm 11 Jan 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

has anyone got a circuit for a 2 volt desulphater so i can can treat the spare cell i have?
Pt Wakefield Matt

Bub73

Posted: 01:29am 14 Jan 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Matt;

Can't you just strap it to the ones you have series or parallel and use a 12 or 24 volt desulphater across it.
I've done this with 6 and 12 volt battery's and it seems to work pretty well.

Bob

mid north Matt

Posted: 11:19am 15 Jan 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

hi Bob
i was thinking about rotating the spare cell through the pack by attaching it on a different cell every day for 2 or 3 months with the desulphater on them and see how it goes,how does all of that sound?
Pt Wakefield Matt

Bub73

Posted: 05:26pm 15 Jan 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Matt;

I have a spare 6 volt cart battery connected to my sting that way. It is the last on on the string and I haven't moved it, unless we need it for the old tractor once in a while.
It has recovered nicely and being tied to the string has maintained it that way for over a year now.
I'd say try it and give it plenty of time unless it has a fault/short and degrades the preformance of your bank too much.

BobEdited by Bub73 2011-01-17

VK4AYQ
Guru

Posted: 02:01am 16 Jan 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Matt

I know this will sound a bit silly but I have used it on 2 volt cells I used to run the glow plugs on my model aircraft when I was playing with them.

I used a old telephone bell with the bell removed, just the coil and points running, in combination to a trickle charge to break down the sulphate, a six volt battery charger works OK with a headlight globe in series to reduce the current into the 2 volt battery, try different wattage globes to reduce the current to less than an amp.

Sounds silly but it does work to get the cell going, then do the rotation in the battery bank without degrading battery performance to much.

If you have adjustment on your charge device you can connect the cell into the battery and lift your charge voltage by 2.5 volts, unless you have a very voltage critical load on it you will not know any different.

The 12 or 24 volt nominal voltage is only a arbitrary figure, in the old days of six volt systems we used an eight volt battery to get better starting, just tweak up the regulator a bit and you could even see with the headlights then. An extra 2 volt cell on 12 volt system or a 24 volt system is a much smaller margin, the old 32 volt systems we used years ago nearly always ended up as a 36 volt system to get better performance.

All the best

Bob
Foolin Around

mid north Matt

Posted: 11:00am 16 Jan 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

hi Bob
the c40 trace/xantrex charge controller has a resisor to remove for charging nife cells so i might wire in a switch on that for the extra charging volts for the 7th cell and keep moving the desulphater through the pack.as for the bell i'll look down my late father's shed and see if i can find one
Pt Wakefield Matt

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024