Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 04:08 06 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Electronics : TLO8 controller: Power LED is always on

stoichiometry

Posted: 10:26pm 20 Jan 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Guys n gals,

I thought my controller was working properly. However, I think its not ...

I found this out while making some modifications (see other thread for momentary switch operation].

I returned all wires to the original diagram and here is what happens. I plug in the charge controller and the power LED comes on and remains on, regardless of the trimpot settings. I can adjust the "low voltage adjust trim pot" so that the DUMP led comes on at 14.4 volts. [Both lights are on now]. Then when I turn down the input voltage, the relay clicks back on at 14.399999 etc. with only the power LED light. When I turn it back up, @ 14.4 both lights come on and the relay clicks. Is this normal? Any idea what it could be? I changed the BD139 out twice, thinking that was the culprit ...

Any help would be appreciated.

Kindly,
M

powerednut

Posted: 01:34am 21 Jan 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Without your momentary action switch the power LED will always be on, so long as there is power from the battery to run it. The 1k Resistor and the LED connect straight from the +8V supply to the GND (- term of the battery in this case), which means they will always provide a path for the current to flow and the LED will always light.

I think the idea of the low voltage pot is to set the voltage that you want the circuit to disconnect the dump load at - I'd set it at your battery's float voltage level (if this is 14.4 then set it slightly lower.. 14.2 or so). The high voltage pot is for when you want connect the dump load (i.e when your battery has reached its "charged" state). Set it to 14.4V if thats your 100% charged voltage.

That way when your battery reaches its fully charged state the relay will click, the dump load light will come on and the dump load will be connected to your power source instead of the battery. When the battery drops back down a bit the relay will click again as it releases, the dump load light will go out and the power source will be connected to your battery again, letting it charge back up to your higher level. If the battery is below the low level the power source will remain connected to the battery.

There is a better explanation here

*edit* the 13.5V low limit suggested for your post in the other thread is probably good.Edited by powerednut 2011-01-22

stoichiometry

Posted: 11:05am 21 Jan 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

PN,

I think the 'hysteresis' is not what it should be.

specificially, turning the high trimpot does nothing in regards to the relay. Perhaps I 'cooked' something trying to set it up with a momentary delay or perhaps it's been this was for a while and i just noticed it?

In any case, in about 3 hours, I'll provide some numbers from the pins at 12V and 15V.

-M

stoichiometry

Posted: 02:24pm 21 Jan 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Issues are now SOLVED!! thanks to everyone for the help.

My trimpots are backwards of the article. Either that or this new-B installed them backwards. In any case, I just reversed the directions in the article (ccw is now cw) and it works great!!

Before it was dumping at 14.4 Volts, and starting to charge again at 14.399 V.

Now I have complete control of the recharge and am setting it to mid-13's.

Again, thanks for the help!

Kindly,
Matt

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024