Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 01:19 06 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Electronics : battery charger

mid north Matt

Posted: 04:37am 21 Jan 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

found a pool filter box [surechlor 4000]at the dump shop with a twin 18v by 7amp winding's on it's tranny so are these good for making a battery charger out of?i was thinking of two 35a bridge recterfier's and a series parael switch for 12/24v charging running through a c40 trace charge controller,what do you guys think?
Pt Wakefield Matt

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 05:11am 21 Jan 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Matt

I've built a power supply out of a pool clorinator, yeah, those transformers can pack a lot of amps. I think my transformer put out about 10VAC, after rectification that ends up at 14volts. I used a 35A bridge and big old capacitor.

18volts, is that AC? Might be too high. 18v times 1.414 to get the DC value after rectification, works out about 25VDC! To charge a 12v battery you want about 16 volts ( boost charge ), so you need 11VAC.

Is the secondary winding accessable, could you take a few turns off the transformer without destroying it?

Glenn
The best time to plant a tree was twenty years ago, the second best time is right now.
JAQ

mid north Matt

Posted: 12:38pm 21 Jan 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

hi Gizmo
i'll have ago at taking some turns off if i can or ive got another tranny similar to yours which would still thump in a decent serve of power to my batteries on days of bad cloud cover
Pt Wakefield Matt

VK4AYQ
Guru

Posted: 12:31am 22 Jan 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Matt

How about making a power supply along the lines of the one PETE Downwind listed in the projects page, for not a lot of extra effort you have a battery charger and a variable power supply. http://www.thebackshed.com/Windmill/articles/VariablePowerSu pply.asp

A few extra transistors and it would be a mean multi voltage battery charger / power supply.

All the best

Bob
Foolin Around

Greenbelt

Guru

Posted: 03:34am 22 Jan 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Glen,

I didn't understand your post at first. I thought you had reversed the .707-1.41 rule,
It finally dawned that you are considering the data tag on the pool filter rather than
the actual voltage on the coil when in operation.
I started this post. Had to finish with an edit. Regards---Roe Edited by Greenbelt 2011-01-23
Time has proven that I am blind to the Obvious, some of the above may be True?

mid north Matt

Posted: 10:45am 22 Jan 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

hi Bob
ive got a varible power supply i found out the dump years ago,it's got a tafe student wound tranny with a commercial printed circuit board with lots of componets on it,0 to 30 volts via 10 turns or so pot dont know amps but lit a 100w 12v globe up very brightly so might make a good charger with a big heatsink on the power transistor and fan's in the case.
Pt Wakefield Matt

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024