Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 06:26 17 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Electronics : piclogger

jdearman

Posted: 01:32am 27 Oct 2006
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

hi i love your site
im trying to make the piclogger at the moment and while iv been doing it iv thought this could be very usefull for my dads project witch is a 0 polution car powered on liquid nitrogen. anyway he's working on that at the mo and has alot of paitents and that on it and has leeds university working for him doing test on the engine and we both had to drive 4 and half hour drive to get their the otherday and all we did was presure tested it with a transducer and this transducer has a 5v output so i was thinking could i get this to work with this pisaxe-08m.
i have tried it and i think it works but i dont now how to write the vb program to convert what comes from the pic through the com port all i get is aload of numbers
please could someone help me write a program if they could id even be willing to pay them for there trouble.
i would also like to include the rpm from the piclog so we can compere the two reading like how many bar pear rpm but i dont need the software to do that
it would be usefull for it to export the data to excel aswell.
thanks for your time
james
please help me it for a good corse (saving the planet)Edited by jdearman 2006-10-28

Bryan1

Guru

Posted: 09:29am 27 Oct 2006
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Firstly as we can see your from the UK so please go back and re-edit you post into english so english speaking people can read it, and as far as running a motor using liquid nitrogen which is basically a freezing liquid used to shrink parts is unheard of. Sorry to be so blunt but your post isn't only hard to read but it doesn't make sense.

jdearman

Posted: 09:42am 27 Oct 2006
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

well im sorry if my spelling is not up to your standard
and as for the car well read this that was in the eureka magazine in 2002, http://www.shelleys.demon.co.uk/fdec02ni.htm
you can also try searching about it before making comments about something you know nothing about.
the only thing you are right about is that it freeze's things liquid nitrogen has a temp of -200 that means at room temp it will boil and expand by 200-300% atleast so makes it perfect to run an engine that if you no how witch you definetly dont.
all i want is abit of help and if been up alnight trying to get it thats proberly why my writing isnt that good Edited by jdearman 2006-10-28

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 10:26am 27 Oct 2006
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi jdearman

The PicLog isn't meant for that sort of application, though it could be made to work. I have a suggestion. First up, it would be hard to get someone to write a VB program for you, writting a logger program would take some time. If you can get hold of VB6 ( Visual Basic 6 ), you could use the PicLog program as an example and then over time write your own program, or modify the PicLog program to do what you want. You could even write the program in the older version of Basic, QB 4.1 or 4.5, which came free with DOS.

Sound like a interresting project your dad is working on, though I dont know how he is using nitrogen. At a guess he could be using it as a source of safe compressed gas, and using a gas pressure engine ( like a steam engine ) to drive the vehicle. Nitrogen would certainly be environment friendly, as most of the air we breath is nitrogen. We use a lot of Nitrogen at work for laser cutting, cheap and keeps the cut cool.

Glenn
The best time to plant a tree was twenty years ago, the second best time is right now.
JAQ

Bryan1

Guru

Posted: 12:52pm 27 Oct 2006
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

OK Jdearman,
             Ive done some research and the link to another forum where I posted a link to your claims is here http://www.electro-tech-online.com/showthread.php?p=170738#p ost170738

Now get your Dad to look at this and tell us why so many universities have dropped the proposal. By no means do I mean to dis-credit you but if your onto a good thing share with the RE world as like me like other people around the world are calling this a crank.

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024