Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 00:30 06 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Electronics : my mills weeklink

shawn

Posted: 09:28am 28 Feb 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Found the weeklink in my system my caps let out the magic fluid
I do live in a high wind zone and it realy hammers my mill
I run two 330uf 400v caps per phase before the rectifires one stattor was a 80 in half delta this cut in first and worked the hardest cooking my caps
I know nothing of how these work but understand i need bigger caps can anybody help???

VK4AYQ
Guru

Posted: 10:27am 28 Feb 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Shawn

If as you say you live in a high wind zone why are you using caps? They are for boosting the low end in low winds but if you have good wind they are only another thing to go wrong, you may consider using the boost module i have on my new mill as it does away with the need for caps, but if good wind was around I wouldn't use either.

All the best

Bob
Foolin Around

Janne

Posted: 03:39pm 01 Mar 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

That's the inherit problem with electrolytic caps, sooner or later they're bound to fail.

For this usage, the only certain way would be to use motor run caps. Motor starter caps are also suspect in this usage, as they're not designed to run at 100% duty cycle.

The drawback with run caps is that they're big and expensive.
If at first you don't succeed, try again.

My projects

shawn

Posted: 07:05am 02 Mar 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thanks for the responce guys when i first built this set up i read gordans cap mods
may have read them wrong!
anyway have removed them from the offending stattor and all going strong again had some 130 km winds here today and i made some good power bank is full so happy once more.

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024