Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 12:04 19 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Electronics : Switching AC with TRIACs via Picaxe

domwild
Guru

Posted: 04:26am 31 Oct 2006
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi,

Am dreaming (again!) to switch AC via a Picaxe. Saw a circuit with a MOC3041 TRIAC driver (zero-crossing, 15mA control current) and a TIC226M TRIAC(600V for inductive loads, 8 Amps with cooling = 1750W).

Is this cheaper to build than buying the 40A SSR from Jaycars? Not that I need 40Amps anyway. Cost is $40.

Says 25mA max. to drive this relay, is this OK for a Picaxe, which can only source/sink 15mA?? Does max. in this case mean it will also switch for 15mA?

Taxation as a means of achieving prosperity is like a man standing inside a bucket trying to lift himself up.

Winston Churchill

RossW
Guru

Posted: 04:43am 31 Oct 2006
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Forget it. Buy the SSR.

Sure, you could use a picaxe, but you wouldn't get all the benefits of zero-crossing detector, or the snubbing circuit, or probably the opto-isolation, and you would still need to provide it with power.

Not to mention the time it will take you to build it...

domwild
Guru

Posted: 03:50am 02 Nov 2006
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Ross,
Thanks for that. I mentioned that it had a zero-crossing detector, it has a snubber and an opto and all it needs is the control signal and not the power. But it could be the time to build it!

Taxation as a means of achieving prosperity is like a man standing inside a bucket trying to lift himself up.

Winston Churchill

mrpackethead

Posted: 10:41am 09 Jan 2007
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Suggest you use a MOC3043, almost the same as the 3041, but it only needs 5mA to turn it on. If you have an inductive load, you might want to put a 39ohm resistor and .01uF Cap in parrallel with triac.

You can use the FETS you suggested in a similar way.   I've got lots and lots of mains switching being done this way of a PIC (picaxe).   

Just be careful. The mains bites.

Every thing should be as simple as possible. Not simpler.

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024