Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 07:30 19 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Electronics : wind generator regulator probs

acrux don

Posted: 01:10pm 28 Mar 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I need a bit of help . I have a wind generator with a integrated regulator this unit can produce up to around 40amps but if my batteries only want 20amps the generator will go right to max,brake goes on,back to zero,full charge ,brake,etc which ends up with very little charge going into my 1000a/h bank I think I need some way to use excess amps while allowing the required amount to go into batteries. But as I live on a yacht I cannot allow any discharged current to go to ground due to the danger of electrolyses

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 10:05pm 28 Mar 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Don

What sort of controller is it? Sounds like its a diversion controller, it shorts out the windmill, which is not the best way of doing things. If you know the make/model, let us know and someone may be able to help you.

In your situation a dump controller might be better. A dump controller dumps excess power from the batteries into a load, like a heater element or lamps. Once the battry voltage goes above a preset level, it switches in and drains off the excess power.

If your into making your own, here are a couple of links to get you started.
http://www.thebackshed.com/windmill/articles/GizmoPicAxeChar ger.asp
http://www.thebackshed.com/windmill/articles/200wDumpLoad.as p
http://www.thebackshed.com/windmill/articles/BuildingEncapsu latedResistors.asp

GlennEdited by Gizmo 2011-03-30
The best time to plant a tree was twenty years ago, the second best time is right now.
JAQ

VK4AYQ
Guru

Posted: 11:24pm 28 Mar 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Don

I had the same problem with that style of regulator, so as Glenn said I removed it and put on a dump load, mine dumps into the grid but in your case you will need a resistive one. One point I found is that due to the power potential of the wind turbine it sends the voltage up to quickly for a topping charge on the batteries, to do that it needs a more gentle charge such as a solar panel with separate regulator.

Also if the wires to the battery is a bit light the resistance in the wire can allow the voltage at the generator to be a bit higher than at the battery allowing this type of regulator to not charge the bank fully.

All the best

Bob
Foolin Around

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024