Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 06:24 19 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Electronics : High Speed 3 Load Switching Device

car.guru.21

Posted: 08:10pm 28 Mar 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hello, I'm currently experimenting with a generator design, but I need to be able to switch between 3 coils repeatedly in a 1-2-3 fashion. The circuit is a low load so I'm hoping that I can use some parts I have laying around. I have a couple 4066 switches, and more than a few 555's. The problem is I have very little experience designing circuits. I've been more a copy paste kind've person. I've dug all over the internet trying to find something similar to what I need that I could work with but alas no such luck. So my hope is that one of the fine minds on here could point me to a schematic that would suite my purposes. My source signal a low current sine wave. I need to be able to adjust the rate of switching somewhere between 5 Hz and 60 Hz. Thanks in advance for any insight you can provide.

Mike

VK4AYQ
Guru

Posted: 12:38pm 29 Mar 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi guru

Could you give us some more details.

Bob
Foolin Around

Tinker

Guru

Posted: 03:42pm 29 Mar 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Mike, the problem with switching coils on and off is that each time a large EMF spike is generated. I doubt that your 4066 will like these spikes. So you need to consider decent buffering if you want to use electronic switching. How fast is the switching sequence?
Klaus

car.guru.21

Posted: 06:08pm 29 Mar 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Ok so more specifics. 3 coils arranged in a circle, all identical gauge and winding, pulsed in a clockwise rotating fashion. I'm trying to recreate some other work I've seen on the internet utilizing rotating magnetic fields. I'm hoping to pulse the coils sequentially to experiment with different resonance phenomenom. A working pulse range of about 5-50 Hz is what im looking for. I was hoping to be able to do this solid state, i realize back emf could be a problem, I was assuming that whatever schematics might surface would take this into account and utilize a clamp of some kind to prevent it back feeding and damaging the components. Ive toyed with the idea of using some mosfets I've got laying around as they seem to hold up pretty well, and the source current I'm using to pulse the coils will be very low current. I'm not so much looking for a massive magnetic field but a small easily controllable one I can experiment with.

RossW
Guru

Posted: 09:41am 01 Apr 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

A small johnson ring counter would be an easy way to do it in discretes.
A small PIC or PICAXE chip would do it very very easily with just a couple of lines of code. A single, 8-pin chip. Could even use a pot to adjust speed easily.

As has been stated though, you will want to take "approprate" measures to protect the electronics from the high-voltage spikes.

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024