Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 08:13 19 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Electronics : TL084 controller: relay buzzing

tomasp

Posted: 10:08am 14 Apr 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi guys,

I have assembled Gizmo's controller, set it up with the variable supply to cut in at 15V and turn off at 13V. All is good while it is connected to the power supply. When it is in the system the schematics gets its power from the same + and - as the thick battery cable that comes into the relay (to be connected to the load). When the wind blows and the Sun shines, voltage climbs up to 15V, and then the following happens. Relay starts buzz (rapidly turning on and off), instead of just turning on. That lasts differently every time, depending on the wind.
Another thing I also did is I connected a manual switch to the leg 8 of the op-amp, so that I can enable the load manually. That switch is always off, so should not impact anything.
So why would it act this way? I have two ideas: either the power supply is dodgy, being the same as feed for the load, or something is wrong with the transistor - however it does act as expected when working from a variable supply.
Please help :)

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 10:30am 14 Apr 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Tomasp

Are you using it to switch in a dump load? If so, try disconnecting the dump load, or swapping it for a low wattage light bulb, and see how the controller behaves. What I have seen happen is the dump load switches in and causes the battery voltage to dip very quickly, and the controller switches back to charge state, then back to dump state, etc.

Glenn
The best time to plant a tree was twenty years ago, the second best time is right now.
JAQ

tomasp

Posted: 10:33am 14 Apr 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thanks Glenn, that is also a possibility - although not according to the voltmeter...Will try though, the problem is that I am never there when it is windy...Any other ideas if it behaves exactly the same as with load?
When I switch it on manually it drops voltage in the battery about 0.8V if that means anything.Edited by tomasp 2011-04-15

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024