Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 06:24 19 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Electronics : Old F&P rotor types -differences?

domwild
Guru

Posted: 07:14am 26 Apr 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi,

Just cleaning out the garage and looking at my collection of old rotors. Am finding two types: The ones with larger magnets and fewer of them (obvious!) and the other type with smaller magnets.

Questions:
Is one type better than the other one? Smoother waveform with more magnets?

Thanks.

Taxation as a means of achieving prosperity is like a man standing inside a bucket trying to lift himself up.

Winston Churchill

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 07:24am 26 Apr 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I have a suspicion the old rotors with the individual magnets are slightly stronger than the newer rotors with the four magnets combined into one block. I do remember hearing something about F&P going for the combined magnet because it made less of the whine noise on the spin cycle, but I could be totally wrong.

I do have some of the old and newer hubs in boxes in storage, I should use my gauss meter ( shameless plug intended ) and measure the magnet strength of the different types.

Glenn
The best time to plant a tree was twenty years ago, the second best time is right now.
JAQ

domwild
Guru

Posted: 10:36pm 26 Apr 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thanks, Glenn.

Taxation as a means of achieving prosperity is like a man standing inside a bucket trying to lift himself up.

Winston Churchill

Bryan1

Guru

Posted: 08:48am 27 Apr 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

G'day Glenn,
Good idea to use the ugn3503 as a gauss meter, I made a simple circuit using one of them years ago for testing N-S poles. All I used was a nimh battery I got from oatleys a green led and resistor and the hall effect sensor.

With putting the poles in on my 4kw motor conversion I didn't need that circuit as the strength of the magnets told me if I got the poles right. Once I got all 21 magnets in one pole I couldn't get the opposing pole within 2" of it. I did find out the hard way when one get the pole wrong a split magnet and luckily none in my finger.

Cheers Bryan

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024