Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 07:08 19 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Electronics : Blackridge Generator $299 2000W

domwild
Guru

Posted: 07:25am 26 Apr 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

This item may no longer be available at that price as the catalogue sale ended on the 21/4. However, eBay is full of other even cheaper generators, but one must be aware of the following:

The supercheapauto catalogue warns that it is not suitable for sensitive electronic equipment, e.g., computers, TVs and gaming consoles.

Is the waveform produced not quite sinusoidal or what is the problem with some of these petrol generators? Once the lights go out in North Walpole sex is out of the question at my age and TV is the next best alternative and a must-have.

I have several unused power conditioners, including a Sola one; would they help in this case? Buying off eBay is a gamble in this case unless the dealer clearly states that it is either suitable for TV reception or not.

Thanks.

Taxation as a means of achieving prosperity is like a man standing inside a bucket trying to lift himself up.

Winston Churchill

VK4AYQ
Guru

Posted: 12:31am 27 Apr 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Dom

I have had several of these little generators and used them on power tools OK and to run a isolation transformer to smooth out the spikes and funny wave forms a bit, to run our computer on generator I used two toroidal transformers back to back, it was a bit lossy but the computer was happy. they where 500 watt units 240 to 60 volt secondary. I have done the same with 240 110 volt voltage doubler transformers out of old TV's but they are only good foe 250 watts.

I also tried one of those capacitive power factor correction filters, it helped a bit but nor as good as the transformers.

My friend uses a 1/4 HP washing machine motor running on line as a filter and that works OK as well. It uses a bit of power but not much when running free just enough to smooth out the regulation a bit and inductively smooth out the sine wave. He has several high voltage caps across the line to the motor to remove HV spikes that do the damage to delicate equipment. Check the wave form with a cro if possible.

All the best

Bob
Foolin Around

domwild
Guru

Posted: 10:54pm 27 Apr 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thanks, Bob.

I have no financial interest in Supercheapautos but must say that the price has now gone up to $499 or more, so this was an Easter special.

Mind you, there are lots of cheapies available on eBay but it pays to google for any problems other users have.

Taxation as a means of achieving prosperity is like a man standing inside a bucket trying to lift himself up.

Winston Churchill

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 11:21pm 27 Apr 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thats a good tip Bob, the induction motor across the output from the genset. All you would need is an old induction motor on a lead, and plug it into one of the genset outlets. Ideally use a 15amp power lead to reduce the inline resistance, or mount a power point at the motor and run the sensitive gear from there.

Transformers back to back would work well too, but harder to find than a old induction motor. I have a big heavy old 1000VA isolation transformer that I saved from a scrap metal bin about 20 years ago, it would work perfectly.

The cheap gensets are usually let down by the motor, you see heaps of them at the dump with the head or carbie removed, a sure sign the motor was giving trouble. The cheap motors need a little TLC in the early days to last longer than a few hours. A friend recently bought a petrol driven air compressor, it was a cow to start, so I had a look at it for him. The carbie was full of casting sand and metal filings. Cleaned it out, fitted a fuel filter, and changed the oil in the motor even though it was new. Its OK now, runs fine. Moral of the story, any cheap motor needs to be serviced and the carbie pulled apart and cleaned before using. The design of these cheap imports is OK, its the factory assembly line quality control thats lacking. Given a chance, these cheap motors can be long lasting.

Glenn
The best time to plant a tree was twenty years ago, the second best time is right now.
JAQ

VK4AYQ
Guru

Posted: 03:33am 28 Apr 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Glenn

Like most thing out of China the engineering concept is good but let down by the quality control, when they are cheap as they are it means getting into the final bit of quality control ourselves, and it is worthwhile as the end product usually works OK.

All the best

Bob
Foolin Around

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024