Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 08:27 19 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Electronics : temp sensor KTY84-130

DanielCV

Posted: 03:04pm 23 May 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hello,

Can somebody help me what would I need to measure temperature with a KTY84-130 ?
http://www.nxp.com/documents/data_sheet/KTY84_SER.pdf
I have built it into a stator of my windgenerator in order to measure the temp.
I would like to do a very simple circuit for it.

Thanks for help!
DanielEdited by DanielCV 2011-05-25

powerednut

Posted: 12:00am 24 May 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Unless your happy with "ballpark" figures I wouldn't bother. That device has a best case error of + or - 4.9 Degrees C (at 100C. Anything other than 100C it gets worse than that). I could be reading the datasheet wrong, so you might want to check that yourself.

I'd be inclined to either stick a cheapy multimeter on the sensor and measure the resitance directly (the device changes resistance with temperature).

Alternatively you could use a simple op amp circuit, with the KTY84-130 in place of the lower resistor of a resistive divider. The junction would then be one of the inputs to the op amp. That way you can either scale the output voltage and feed it to a voltmeter of some kind, or you can compare it to a reference voltage and trigger something (like a beeper to alert you to a problem, or a mosfet to switch on an additional load dump).

You could also use the resistive divider route and provide the input to the ADC on a little microcontroller (arduino or just an avr (e.g ATtiny85) or a pic or whatever). Then its just a software issue to convert the voltage to a temperature and drive whatever outputs you want.

If you want to go the op amp route take a look at the op-amp battery charger circuit that gets discussed a few times on this forum. From memory the op-amp portion uses a resistive divider to measure the voltage across a battery and switch a transistor (mosfet?) on or off. Thats pretty much what you want to do. Just pay attention to the max current requirements of the sensor.

I suspect you'll find a simple diode (1n4148) would provide a similiar level of accuracy for temperature sensing. try googling it.

Tinker

Guru

Posted: 01:57pm 24 May 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I assume the aim of checking the temperature is finding out when the stator gets too hot and putting on the brakes?
If so why not use a simple temperature sensing switch? These are quite cheap and come in either high temperature off or on contacts. You pick the switching point to suit. A neat feature is they self reset once things have cooled down.
You can switch around 10A so it should be fine to activate brakes.
Klaus

DanielCV

Posted: 05:35pm 25 May 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thankyou for your very helpful answers !!

Best regards,
Daniel

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024