Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 01:44 21 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Electronics : Interesting wind meter circuit

Chris

Posted: 06:10am 09 Nov 2006
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Well i was on discover circuits and stumbled across this... Uses two transistors to measure wind speed...

http://www3.telus.net/chemelec/Projects/Anemometer/Schematic .png

Heres the parent page... its quite interesting.

http://www3.telus.net/chemelec/Projects/Anemometer/Anemomete r.htm

KiwiJohn
Guru

Posted: 08:09am 09 Nov 2006
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I think a similar system is used in some cars to measure the air flow into the manifold. Maybe the sensors could be obtainable from junk yards?

Chris

Posted: 10:37am 09 Nov 2006
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I know some cars use a hot wire system, so as more air passes over a piece of wire, it cools it changing the resistance...

Or something along these lines. But surely with a semiconductor it should be a bit more accurate i think...

Might try build one later on.

Anyone else got thoughts on this circuit?

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 09:23pm 09 Nov 2006
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I played around with hot wire sensors years ago. They work very well, if you pass a current through a wire so it starts to glow red, then blow on it, the current goes up! So by using a constant current source to keep the wire red hot, wind speed over the wire is proportional to the voltage needed to keep it hot.

The down side is they need a few watts to run.

Glenn
The best time to plant a tree was twenty years ago, the second best time is right now.
JAQ

makourain

Posted: 03:14am 10 Nov 2006
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

chemelec is what got me in to windmills, but his wind speed meter cant read wind faster than 2 or 3 miles per hour.

nando

Posted: 04:47am 10 Nov 2006
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

What I have done with very low power was to use small 12 volts 100,000 hours lamps using two of them, one of them the glass is removed and the other is kept as it is .

Two equal constant sources, feeding each lamp, then one measures the voltages differentially to get the wind velocity.

Quite effective and as well, low power, some of those lamps needed around 20 to 30 milliamps, if I ever find my data, it is in storage, I will present it, though it was done in the middles 1960's.

Nando

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024