Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 06:48 19 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Electronics : LCD Displays, pin locations

rhamer

Posted: 12:51am 01 Jul 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Folks,

I am wanting to find out if there is any sort of standard relating to small character LCD's and their I/O pin locations.

With all the units I have ever used the connections are either a single row of 16 (14 without the backlight) top or bottom or a dual row of 8 at one end.

I'm not interested in the dual row of 8.

All the units I have used have this single row of pins either on the top or bottom of the display and pushed to the left, with pin 1 the first pin on the left, and pin 16 the last.

So my question is has anybody seen anything different i.e the pins pushed to the right?

I know there will always be oddball displays, but in terms of the vast majority are they always on the left.

Regards

Rohan
Rohan Hamer
HAMFIELD Software & Hardware Solutions

Makers of the Maximite Expander.

http://www.hamfield.com.au

Talbit

Posted: 04:00am 02 Jul 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Did you mean ..."with pin 1 the first pin on the RIGHT, and pin 16 the last". I think I know where you are coming from with the LCD displays with the 14 or 16 pin connector in a straight row at the bottom left of the display (facing the display) starting with pin 1 on the right. I don't know if there are displays that go the other way. Why is it a problem for you? Be aware that some displays have their +5v on pin 1 and GND on pin 2 while others have it the other way around. I'm using a Jaycar QP-5520.
Talbit
Talbit

aargee

Posted: 01:52am 09 Jul 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

As far as the layout - I've seen the pin rows all over the place, top, bottom, left, right, centre. If you're producing something, it's best to find a well known manufacturer/model and stick to that.

Most character type LCD displays are based on the Hitachi chipset and most use a 16 pin SIP (Single Inline Pin) connection. The variations are usually in the power supply (5V) connections and the backlight connection at one end of the pins or the other. This variation even happens within specific manufacturers ranges.

- Rob
For crying out loud, all I wanted to do was flash this blasted LED.

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024