Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 04:35 19 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Electronics : voltage control

russdy

Posted: 02:23am 10 Jul 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

hello all

ive just made myself some solar panels and they work great with a charge controller keeps all my deep cells and camping 4wd batteries well charged. now here is my problem, i want to hook up 3 more (15v-21v @up to 4 amp each panel always at the high end when usable amps are being produced)directy to a dc pump which is 15v. is there a way to cap the output voltage to 15v using an off the shelf product. have looked around but cant find anything to suit my needs.any ideas?
the main reason things break in my house is because ive pulled it apart to see how it works

Robb

Posted: 03:36am 10 Jul 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

What you need is a shunt regulator.

They are commonly used with wind generators rather than solar because your wind generator can over rev and self distruct if it has no load.Edited by Robb 2011-07-11

VK4AYQ
Guru

Posted: 01:30am 11 Jul 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Russ

I run a 12 volt pump directly off solar panels by using a large cap across the panels a 2 farad unit used on car stereo boom boom amps then through a 24 to 12 volt converter rated at 15 amps it is a truck 24 to 12 converter, it cost $20 on ebay and the cap was from a carsound place about $60 from memory.

The cap stores the energy to start the pump and to some degree evens out the solar variations.

All the best

Bob
Foolin Around

norcold

Guru

Posted: 08:27pm 12 Jul 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Choice Electrics make a pump controller, switchable for 12 or 24v pumps. 7amps max draw. Have a couple of them that have been in service for 4+ years to drive ebay chinese diaphram pumps floatng on dam(house water supply) They are very efficient delivering usable power from sun-up to sun-down. Believe there are other brand controllers out there that are cheaper, google search will show these.
We come from the land downunder.
Vic

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024