Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 06:47 19 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Electronics : Fisher Paykel Motor.

blucattledog

Posted: 08:54am 22 Jul 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi there,

I was wondering if someone could help me with a design for the Fisher Paykel smart drive motor.

I need to run one of these motors at high speed(as fast as it runs now in the washing machine) but obviously not for a washing purposes. I will run this on a bench setup.

What configuration could I use as far as the wiring goes(preferably stock without alteration of rotor/stator wiring)and how would I drive the motor in relation to a switch to turn it on and off.... power supply etc,,,,

Basically this will be like a bench grinder setup, but used for polishing instead...

Im not much of an electrical guru, which is why I came here and asked this question...

Ive done a heap of searching on the net, but couldn't find anything like what I require,,, so I was hoping someone here could offer some help..

Cheers..

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 10:30am 22 Jul 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Blu

The F&P needs a special controller. Have a look at this post http://www.thebackshed.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=3789&PN =1, should get you pointed in the right direction.

Glenn
The best time to plant a tree was twenty years ago, the second best time is right now.
JAQ

Tinker

Guru

Posted: 12:23pm 22 Jul 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

The F&P motor is, IMO, a little awkward to use for anything as a motor - other than the washing machine its designed for.
But, there are heaps of washing machines around that use standard induction motors, these usually run a about 1450RPM on the shaft. Some have even 2 speed provisions.

You'll get a better protected motor (and much easier to mount) than the F&P and a shaft that usually has a V-belt pulley on it - giving you a wide range of speed settings.

Just look at your local recycle center or fossick at kerbside bulk rubbish collection days for cheap or free ones.

I use a washing machine motor to power my home built bandsaw and another one to power a belt/ disk sander. These have been in use for about 20 years now and perform adequately. Can't see why not also useful for a polisher.

You would be fiddling with a part that runs on lethal mains voltage and you need to connect the motor with this in mind. Best get an electrician to wire it up, its too dangerous fore somebody who is not "much of an electrical guru". This would apply to the F&P motor as well BTW. Its only when they are converted to become an alternator to run at low voltages for windmill uses the instructions on this forum are suitable for the average wannabe electrical guru .
Klaus

blucattledog

Posted: 11:47pm 25 Jul 2011
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thanks Guys, your time in responding is appreciated,,

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024