Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 07:15 26 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Electronics : Picaxe-08M + bike computer!

manuka

Posted: 09:13pm 17 Dec 2006
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Quality (Cateye) bike computers can now be picked up here in NZ for ~A$12,& so I've been exploring driving one with a Picaxe-08M. Results have been pleasing - the idea of course is for the bike computer to show current (in Amps) as a km/hr & A.h as km. My eventual lash up thus is a promising charge "fuel gauge", suiting battery charge monitoring from erratic energy sources such as PVs & wind.

Gizzmo's web site has been a great help with shunt & hall effect sensors, but I've initially settled on the former as it's worked out very cleanly & simply, with minimal code. We intend using it as a schools electronics motivator, so low cost is naturally an issue too.

It's shaping up as a "Silicon Chip" educational article, perhaps for the Feb. 2007 issue. Full credit to "thebackshed" will naturally be given ! Thanks- Manuka (Stan)

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 01:39am 18 Dec 2006
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Very clever idea there, those little bike computers have a bunch of usefull features. Never thought of connecting one to a PicAxe, but it makes sense and could be used for a lot of new applications. I think some of those bike computers have a paek hold, so they could also record peaks in current.

Thanks for the plug.

Glenn
The best time to plant a tree was twenty years ago, the second best time is right now.
JAQ

manuka

Posted: 10:39am 18 Dec 2006
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Glenn - happy to point these out. The "Cateye Velo" model used here certainly also has a peak hold option. I'll eventually post detailed pix/code/schematics but for starters check => www.picaxe.orcon.net.nz/bikecomp.jpgEdited by manuka 2006-12-19

brucedownunder2
Guru

Posted: 03:06pm 18 Dec 2006
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hello Stan, remember me ?
You came to my house on the North shore of Sydney some years ago with Brett from Newcastle.
Well ,I'm retired now and more than ever fiddling around with all this windmill stuff. In the hinterland,west of the Gold Coast.

Good to see you in the pack, look forward to reading your contributions-follow your articles in Silicon Chip .

Bruce
Bushboy

manuka

Posted: 08:31am 23 Dec 2006
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Bruce- recall your F&P setup well. Mmm- that must have been (engages brain Google) Dec 2002? Given the sunshine in Queensland I'm suprised you've not gone solar instead !

Have just uploaded draft 08M/Bike Computer material & would appreciate any comments pre the early Jan. publication deadlines. Naturally I've a lengthy text coverage & other pix, but the key files are -

Schematic (draft)=>www.picaxe.orcon.net.nz/bikeamph.gif

Driving code =>www.picaxe.orcon.net.nz/bikeamph.bas

Breadboard layout =>www.picaxe.orcon.net.nz/bikeamph.jpg

EXTRA: Could anyone near a bike shop please do a me a favour & check the Oz. prices of CATEYE Velo 1 bike computers. CATEYE are the worlds #1 firm in this field, but they've many Velo models at higher prices. Even here in little old EnZed I spotted a Velo 8 ... Thanks ! StanEdited by manuka 2006-12-24

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024