Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 18:02 20 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Electronics : Synchronous Invertors.

mrpackethead

Posted: 10:45am 09 Jan 2007
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Anyone got a design for a inverter that will act synchronously.. ( ie you can parrallel them together ). Needs to be pure sine wave as well.

Can't have a control bus between the inverters either..

Every thing should be as simple as possible. Not simpler.

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 01:22am 10 Jan 2007
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I think you would be lucky to get such a circuit off the internet. I've searched before and all I can find are circuits for modified sine wave inverters, no sync option, and usually use large modified transformers.

Good luck hunting.

Glenn
The best time to plant a tree was twenty years ago, the second best time is right now.
JAQ

RossW
Guru

Posted: 06:22am 10 Jan 2007
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

The only thing I can think of that would do what you're talking about would have to assume you are a man of nearly unlimited wealth.

If you came to me with a large wad of cash, and this problem, I'd point you at grid-tie inverters with anti-islanding.

These guys will take your DC and convert to AC, nice sinewave, and will phase-sync and voltage-sync, to what they consider to be "the mains"

I understand that when they come on-line, they monitor the supply, synchronise themselves and then enable their output. They then continuously monitor the "grid" to check they remain in phase.

Expensive, but might give you something to think about.

RossW

mrpackethead

Posted: 08:58am 10 Jan 2007
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Alas, i am not a man of unlimited wealth.   Yes, i've been looking at grid tie inverters and actually have a small one on my desk, that i'm now contemplating trying to reverse engineer..    I've found some thesis's published on grid tie applications, and how to implement grid ties.

Building an invertor that will product nice sine wave output is not so hard.   Its not that different from an audio amplifier. Whats tricky is making them run efficently. If you are happy with 30% efficency its a peice of cake.   I'm looking for 85%+!!

There are plenty of DC/DC inverters that will run in parallel, DC/AC is a new challenge for me.. I'm sure its doable, ( well it is ), and i'm just going to have to go and find out how to do it.

Megawatt Man

Posted: 07:34am 11 Jan 2007
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Have a look at this. http://www.edn.com/article/CA419572.html
I don't understand it all, particularly the seemingly high source voltage, and the "to the other inverter" text.

There are 2 reasons for which circuits are not readily available 1. perceived legislative consequences and 2. commercial reasons - there are sites from whom you can buy the details.

A few years ago the UNI of NSW developed a 1 kW solar pane with an integrated synchronised sine wave inverter. You stuck it on the roof and had a sparkie connect it to your switchboard, after arranging with you electricity supplier to buy an electronic two way meter. They sold it to a SA manufacturer from whom you now buy the package, so you can be sure that the design details are commercial-in-confidence.
Megawatt Man

mrpackethead

Posted: 10:01am 11 Jan 2007
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I will solve this problem.   I've now figured out how to control the power output of an invertor, effectively allowing me to run a MPPT..

I'm only looking to build a small unit.. Perhaps in the order of 500-1000W.. But have multiple of them around the place.

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024