Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 05:46 20 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Electronics : Another Newbie!

matthenley

Posted: 03:28pm 20 Jan 2007
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi there!

I've spent a weekend building a small turbine out of an old DC motor and other bits and pieces. My problem is it only generates 2-5 vdc. I had a little gadget (info here) that brought this upto 14vdc, but this died when the whole thing fell off the garage roof.

Any ideas?

Matt Edited by matthenley 2007-01-23

Gill

Posted: 09:37am 21 Jan 2007
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Yeh matthenly, I have that "falling off the garage roof" problem too. People say it is the rum, but I think we should use stronger string.
Seriously though, thanks for the heads up on that gizmo but I see they sell wholesale only, Where would i be able to buy such a device from?Edited by Gill 2007-01-22
was working fine... til the smoke got out.
Cheers Gill _Cairns, FNQ

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 11:17am 21 Jan 2007
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I bought one of these little boosters from Oatley Electronics http://www.oatleyelectronics.com/kits/k091a.html. It worked down to 6 volts, any lower and it shut off.

Glenn
The best time to plant a tree was twenty years ago, the second best time is right now.
JAQ

matthenley

Posted: 06:13pm 21 Jan 2007
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Gill said  they sell wholesale only, Where would i be able to buy such a device from?

That's my problem. Can't seem to find anything similar anywhere. How can I get my tiny voltage high enough to trickle charge a 12v battery?

Could I just use the coil thing from a transformer and put six times more turns on the output side than the input, resuting in an output of 12-30vdc and therefore keeping my battery topped up? I am trying to recall the stuff I learned at school here, which was way too long ago.

I've googled for a curcuit diagram for something, but a I'm a bit stuck for now...

MattEdited by matthenley 2007-01-23

KiwiJohn
Guru

Posted: 07:25pm 21 Jan 2007
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

You could use a transformer but not with DC (well, not without more electronics).

I suggest consider saving the DC motor for something else while using something more suitable for this application.   Maybe a stepper motor?

As a very rough indicator a DC motor must spin faster as a generator than it would as a motor on the same volts. If you can find a higher voltage DC motor it will produce a higher voltage on the same turbine.

matthenley

Posted: 03:53pm 22 Jan 2007
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I found the gadget I originally used on a German site here .

Hope this is useful to someone. Thanks for your help and all the best with your projects.

Matt

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024