Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 05:02 20 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Electronics : Sony Power Adaptor - Video 8

domwild
Guru

Posted: 06:08am 24 Mar 2007
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Slightly off-topic - my apologies! However, this thing may one day power my Picaxe, which in turn may control my mill. Or it may help to calibrate my Picaxe as it produces 8.50VDC precisely. With resistors or 5V zener I'll get it down to 5.0VDC or whatever max. voltage is OK for calibration.

A friend gave me a video cassette recorder (Sony) to be cannibalised. It has a slide-out power adaptor/battery charger, 240AC in, 8.5V DC 1.0A (VTR), 1.2A (battery)out which I can use. Looks like some other equipment uses it as a battery charger.

When in, it slides in and connects via spring-loaded contacts into a small circuit panel, which contains:

2 fuses
1 diode
1 6-pin header to pick the DC from
1 Omron 5VDC near-square chip G2Q-187P-R

To an electronic newbie like me, the Omron looks like a 5VDC voltage regulator. Google search hits do not tell me what this thing does BUT they all want to sell it to me! No matter which of the six pins I attach my voltmeter to, I do not get 5V, but only the posted 8.5VDC on some pin combinations. Am finding it hard to follow the traces. Am intrigued by the 5VDC stamp on this chip.

What is it?????

Taxation as a means of achieving prosperity is like a man standing inside a bucket trying to lift himself up.

Winston Churchill

WindChopper

Posted: 04:52pm 24 Mar 2007
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Being OMRON, most likely a Relay.

Tried the OMRON site, but could not find a match.

G2 is a valid OMRON series but not as a G2(Q).

May the designator for a custom component for SONY.

http://oeiwcsnts1.omron.com/ocb_pdfcatal.nsf/0/57386FFD93505 C1586257037006CF518/$file/MSG_Relays_8.06.pdf

The above is a link to a pdf that seems to show all their current relays ( mech & solid state ).

Don't think that OMRON ever made regulators, but I could be wrong.

I guess I should have tried harder !
http://www.derf.com/pdf/9601-14.15.pdf
Look at page 2 for a .....
OMRON MFG # Volts mW Sealed Stock # Ea./M
G2Q-184P-V-5VDC 5VDC 280 Yes 5827 .95

Not exactly the same number but it seem to point toward it being a relay.   Does this look like the beastie that you have?

RussEdited by WindChopper 2007-03-26

WindChopper

Posted: 05:20pm 24 Mar 2007
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

DUH .... and I'm not even Blonde ....

Got caught up in the relay and forgot what I was really going to say !

Forget the Zener, use a LM7805 or equiv. and with an IC and a couple of caps ( yes .... you do need them ), you have a nice 1A regulated supply.

See http://cache.national.com/ds/LM/LM340.pdf for the LM78xx / LM340 regulator cheat sheet.

Russ

domwild
Guru

Posted: 05:19am 25 Mar 2007
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Russ,

Thanks for that. It is a -187P- ; just strange for it to be a relay. The voltage is 8.5VDC, not 5VDC, which seems to be the rating of the relay.

DUH, I also meant a LM7805 or similar voltage regulator. Seen them in Silicon Chip to regulate down from 9VDC + additional caps, etc. to give a stable 5VDC.

Taxation as a means of achieving prosperity is like a man standing inside a bucket trying to lift himself up.

Winston Churchill

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024