Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 06:20 09 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Electronics : more than one Inverter....?

grolly

Posted: 08:48am 25 May 2007
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Is it possible to piggy back inverters, as in 1 2 or 3 300W inverters fed from seperate sorces,1 2 or 3 battery banks, and the output ( 240V ) conected together?

does the output remain the same, ie 300W or will it be 300x3 or 900W ?

grolly
I have bought the farm...now I AM powering it...

Gill

Posted: 09:49am 25 May 2007
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

G'day Grolly,
Whilst it is true that some inverters are made capable of being "piggy backed" together, the little 300w units are not.
The main thing that has to be done is to synchronise the AC outputs. This synchronising circuit is way out of application for these price and market targeted appliances. The obvious reasoning is, "if you need twice he power then buy our bigger inverter"Edited by Gill 2007-05-26
was working fine... til the smoke got out.
Cheers Gill _Cairns, FNQ

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 01:30pm 25 May 2007
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Yes Gill is right. Inverters make AC ( Alternating Current ), the voltage swings from positive to negative and back 50 ( or in the USA, 60 ) times a second. So to connect inverters together you would need to sync the inverters so the voltage swing of each inverter happens at the exact same time. If the inverters are out of sync ( or phase ), you'll end up with lots of blue smelly smoke!

Glenn
The best time to plant a tree was twenty years ago, the second best time is right now.
JAQ

grolly

Posted: 08:52am 27 May 2007
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

thankyou Gill and Gizmo...T'was only a thought...
I have bought the farm...now I AM powering it...

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 11:42am 27 May 2007
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Nothing wrong with a thought grolly. Its thinking that gets us places, even if its a step backwards.

What are the two most powerfull words in the english language?

"what if?"

Glenn
The best time to plant a tree was twenty years ago, the second best time is right now.
JAQ

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024