Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 20:58 08 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Electronics : Higher voltage battery

dwyer
Guru

Posted: 12:09pm 25 May 2007
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Fellers
I would like to make some enquires about 2 volts batteries for sample if a person or myself buy 25 x 2volts wet cell batteries make 50volts and run on 48 volt pure sine waves Inverter to 240 volt Ac and factory manual say can run between 44 to 68 volt same with other like 12 volt plus add 2 volts batteries make 14 volts can run on Inverter between 12 to17 volts without any trouble. Can anyone explain this??

Dwyer the bushman

Gill

Posted: 01:36pm 25 May 2007
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

G'day Dwyer,
The way I understand it is that the inverters are made for 12 volts or say 48 volts but as they are used the voltage drops lower, the inverter still keeps on working until it drops to a level the manufacturer sets as the cutoff volts. This saves the battery from cycling to deeply. I think the level is typically 80% of the nominal inverter voltage.

Now with the battery low it has to be charged. A current of about 7% to 10% of the battery amp/hour rating is good for this. The chargers voltage needs to be higher than the batteries voltage for the current to flow through the battery and charge it.
The inverter manufacturer ensures his unit will keep on working with the higher charge voltage present.

This explains why the inverter is designed to operate over a range of voltages rather than one fixed voltage.

Yes your 48 volt inverter will work fine from a 50 volt battery without any danger at all. Though if you go too high in battery voltage you will find that when you go to charge it the inverter will cut out.

It is often the case when buying old second hand batteries to get an extra 2 volts. The inverter will still work, the charger will still work(low setting may struggle) regulator will need resetting too so it doesn't cut out to early. Typically performance of old batteries is low and cannot be charged to the same voltages as when new. The extra 2 volts compensates for this as well as being the replacement for the first cell failure.

This is stretching it out, making an old battery bank last just that bit longer(until the tax refund cheque arrives).

Well thats the way I see it, hope it's what you were after.
was working fine... til the smoke got out.
Cheers Gill _Cairns, FNQ

dwyer
Guru

Posted: 10:28pm 25 May 2007
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Gill
Thank for your great advise now i will try save some $$ and l hoping get these batteries however first thing is shop to buy inverter maybe one of aussie made would be best investment for my money and workout the wattages using we using around our home .

Dwyer the bushman

Trev

Guru

Posted: 10:03am 02 Jun 2007
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Dwyer, when you have done some shopping around, find what you want, compare pricing etc, give us a call and I will see what I can do for you.

Trev @ drivebynature.com

dwyer
Guru

Posted: 11:33am 02 Jun 2007
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Tev
Thank for your advise and will look around and will let you know l havent forgot to post $$ for DVD yet as l had a very busy week when my friend who own Engineering company ask me to work for them for fews weeks but end of the day l am bugger with pain on my leg (old injuyed)that end up resting until next day that everyday Hard Life Anyway about Fibreglass Blade you made with Gimzo pattern are they up for sale yet and l have ideas why not make hollow alloy Blades??would be intersting
Dwyer the bush man

Trev

Guru

Posted: 11:57am 02 Jun 2007
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Dwyer,
somewhat digressed from the original posting purpose.

$$, not a great concern for DVD, I did email you privately for an address to send it to. Still waiting, where do I send the DVD? Email me privately if you want.

F/glass blades, check the thread in Trev's diary for updates. Yes they are for sale. Problem with alloy is fatigue.
Edited by Trev 2007-06-03
Trev @ drivebynature.com

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024