Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 02:39 09 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Electronics : inverter/charger

grolly

Posted: 01:40am 18 Jun 2007
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi all... Has anyone had any experience with a "Trace Model SW series 11" (SW3024A ,3000W,24V)inverter/charger?
It has a good blurb on paper, and some good points, as in shareing loads between gen and batteries automatically, and remote gen. starting etc.
Grolly

I have bought the farm...now I AM powering it...

grolly

Posted: 10:28am 27 Jun 2007
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

also has anyone had any experence or information on these multi input voltage inverters...
DCAC45/120/2500 and DCAC57/120/2500 DC/AC Inverters.

These Inverters convert a wide DC input voltage to a regulated 120/240vac, using 4 quadrant, crystal controlled, Full H-Bridge, transformer boost technology.
DCAC45/120/2500
Input 27 to 63

Voltage
Output 120/240

dwyer
Guru

Posted: 01:22pm 27 Jun 2007
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

hi grolly
where did you find it and this come is off ?
Dwyer the bushman

dwyer
Guru

Posted: 01:31pm 27 Jun 2007
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi grolly
just have alook this webs site www.zahninc.com
ABOUT ZAHN
PRODUCTS
GLOSSARY
PRODUCT LISTING
(By Model No.)

NEWSLETTER
EMAIL US NOW

4133 Courtney Rd. Unit #5
Franksville, WI 53126
Phone: (262) 835-9200
Fax: (262) 835-9201
EMAIL zahn@zahninc.com
www.zahninc.com

Manufacture of:

DC/DC Converter or DC Converters or dc-dc Converter,

Step Up Converter, Step Down Converter

DC Motor Controls or Servo Amplifiers or DC Amplifiers,

Pure DC or Chopper Motor Controls, all by PWM

Click on:

DC/DC Converters
DC/AC Inverters
DC MotorContols (Servo Amplifiers)

Power Supplies

Featuring our DCDC17/330/7000? Step Up Converter
Featuring our DCDC24/12/3000 Step Down Converter

------------------------------------------------------------ --------------------

Copyright 2007 by Zahn Electronics, Inc. All Rights reserved

grolly

Posted: 10:36am 28 Jun 2007
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Dwyer, yes that is the web site I got the pic off, what I was asking was if anyone has had any experence with these type of inverters, whether they are reliable, and do what they say.

at the moment I will be feeding it from a 32 volt DC gen set, AND a 24 volt x 500 amp battery bank and 2 x 24 volt x 760 amp fork batterie banks. the gen set is variable voltage output, max 40 v dc @ 60 amp

This is "at the moment", I have 3 monthe to improve on this situation, or change it...

Grolly

dwyer
Guru

Posted: 11:08am 28 Jun 2007
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Grolly
yes l would like to know about if Zahn inverter are reliable maybe other member Ross might know about it so Ross if you had any work with or knowedge with this type inverter??
Dwyer the bushman

dwyer
Guru

Posted: 11:39am 28 Jun 2007
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi grolly
I had aquick look at Zahn inverter and l copy this information Note, with a sine wave
output current, the peak current coming in from the DC source is a sine squared waveform and will not work well on elecric clock, microwave,dvd or tape player, fax machine also some tv set ,anything appication that design run on pure wave is fine but not on modifild wave.

dwyer the bushman

RossW
Guru

Posted: 11:41am 28 Jun 2007
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Sorry, no, not familiar with this beasty.

Personally, I would only consider a pure sinewave inverter for my own applications, so whatever you get, check its specs very carefully. See what they rate its "maximum" at, and how long for. Also if they offer an indication of how much overload it can take for how long (eg, my 5KVA inverter can do 6KVA for an hour, at 40 deg C ambient) - if you have this sort of "safety margin" you can probably be reasonably confident with it.

grolly

Posted: 09:04am 02 Jul 2007
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi all, what is the difference between Modified Sine Wave and pure sine wave inverters, apart from running a computer, what else will not run?, I am thinking of running the office on a pure sine wave( 1500W/3000w) and the rest of the house on a modified sine wave 4000w/8000w, will this work?

Highlander

Posted: 09:25am 02 Jul 2007
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Grolly,
I'll leave it to Ross or Mega for details, but in a word NO.
Some things will not work at all and others will have their working life greatly reduced.
Have a look at this
http://www.thebackshed.com/Windmill/FORUM1/forum_posts.asp?T ID=375&PN=8

Edited by Highlander 2007-07-03
Central Victorian highlands

grolly

Posted: 10:24am 02 Jul 2007
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Highlander... thanks, don't think I will spend the 1100.00 bucks, and go for a smaller PSW one. What attracted it to me was the 4000w cont/8000w surge... well back to the drawing board....

Grolly

RossW
Guru

Posted: 10:35am 02 Jul 2007
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Yup, as per highlanders diagram, MSW (or "Stepped-Square" the more honest people call them) are pretty horrible.

Whats worse (and not clear from that same diagram) is that few, if any, have regulation - they simply chop the raw DC to the stepped output. In order to keep the "RMS" voltage roughly the same, they adjust the width of those pulses. What this means is that when the battery voltage is high, your "peak" voltage may be *WAY* above the normal 240V sinewave peaks - and in some cases, DANGEROUSLY high.

Similarly, when batteries are low, the pulses are much longer, but may not even be high enough to run a lot of equipment.

In short, for MANY applications, they *WILL* kill your appliances. This is increasingly likely as cheap, low-quality switchmode supplies take over the older transformer-based plugpacks (mostly because the xfmr based ones will not meet the energy/efficiency requirements of under 1W quiescent).

I got rid of my last quasi-wave inverter nearly 20 years ago and wouldn't even *consider* one again. Period.

grolly

Posted: 10:19am 03 Jul 2007
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

BIG thankyou for the warning, as I nearly made an expensive boo boo. will stick to looking for PSW inverters from now on. thanks again

Grolly

Bryan1

Guru

Posted: 10:31am 04 Jul 2007
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Eh Grolly,
Checkout www.kipoint.tw I think thats the website. I bought a 3kw/9kw pure sine inverter $1,500 but customs stung me another $450 so still at $1950 I got a good cheap inverter for the shed. Now I run any motor upto 2hp in the shed with no problems and to me its a good inverter. A few other people here have bought them too and I haven't seen a bad word about them on the net.

Cheers Bryan

grolly

Posted: 12:38pm 13 Jul 2007
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi ross, highlander,

just out of intrest, if I get a large modified sign wave inverter(1kw) and ran it into a UPS, or two, and ran the senitive stuff off them, the UPS's ,being pure sine wave inverters,should give a clean output on the 240 volt side.

would the UPS be affected by the modified sine wave input?

Grolly

RossW
Guru

Posted: 08:19pm 13 Jul 2007
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Very few (and none of the recent) UPSs I've encountered will accept squarewave or modified squarewave input, so they wouldn't even sync up.

The exception to this is some of the old "double-conversion" types where the mains did no more than charge batteries and supply DC for the inverter stage.

All the modern "line-interactive" inverters with interactively with the mains, and won't work with MSW, and as for the "transfer" type UPSs, well, forget it. They just pass the mains through until they think it's out of spec (voltage or frequency too high or low) at which point they drop the mains and operate entirely from batteries.

So, short answer long: NO.

grolly

Posted: 08:09am 14 Jul 2007
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi ross, thanks for the info, ...back to the drawing board...

btw Bryan1, the web site didnt work, are you sure it was " www.kipoint.tw" ?

grolly

Highlander

Posted: 08:42am 14 Jul 2007
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Grolly,
Try this

Google will usually find things
Central Victorian highlands

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024