Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 19:21 05 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Electronics : 8-pin PIC12F675

vasi

Guru

Posted: 05:26pm 16 Jul 2007
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Can be a replacement for picaxe 08M?

What about this ?
PICkit

PICkit™ 1 FLASH Starter Kit $76.44

PICkit™;1 FLASH Starter Kit Manufacturer: Microchip
• PICkit1 circuit board with 8-pin PIC12F675
• Breakaway prototype board
• Easy to use PICkit 1 GUI (Graphical User Interface)
• PICkit1 user guide (included on CD-ROM PICkit 1 tutorial software for various applications MPLABIDE (Integrated Development Environment) software
• Software & hardware tips & tricks for 8-pin FLASH
• PIC microcontrollers handbook USB interface cable
Hobbit name: Togo Toadfoot of Frogmorton
Elvish name: Mablung Miriel
Beyound Arduino Lang

Bryan1

Guru

Posted: 08:52pm 17 Jul 2007
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hiya Vasi,
Eh mate I'm into the pic's and after I've spent some $$$ on prototype boards that were crap I now make my own. $76 seems alot of money for just 1 chip thats only costs a couple of dollars too. Glenn and a few other guy's here go for the picaxe as it's easy to program and the picaxe is basically the big brother to the basic stamp. If you like i can throw a heap of links to pic learning sites and tutorials to get you started. Nigel Goodwins winpicprog is a top site for learning with all his tutorials based on veroboard which he shows how to make also. The elmer tutorials are a top read too.

Hope This Helps

Cheers Bryan Edited by Bryan1 2007-07-19

vasi

Guru

Posted: 10:24pm 17 Jul 2007
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Yes, thank you Bryan , I want the links. I will buy only the chip. I looked around here and no picaxe but I can use that chip. Anyway, no rush because I already have a windmill controller with two A741 (with setup for car battery).

Cheers Vasi.
Beyound Arduino Lang

Bryan1

Guru

Posted: 07:28am 18 Jul 2007
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hiya Vasi,

Well mate here's a few links on the pic's
Elmer 160 Tutorials

Nigel's WinpicProg page and tutorials

Microchips PDF tutorials

Pete's World Lots of pic projects

Peter Anderson's Pic page

The Piclist

Oshonsoft a Basic Compiler/Simulator for the pic

Bill Bowden's Hobby page lots of good stuff there

Gooligum tutorials very basic tutorials based on the 16c508/9 but a must read for beginners

Olin Lapthrop's Embed Inc pic site (Advanced but some good stuff on there)

Well guy's keep an eye on this post as I'm remembering more and more pic sites and adding them as I find them. My intention here is to make a link to the best pic related sites on the net so anyone can use it as a reference.

Cheers Bryan Edited by Bryan1 2007-07-19

vasi

Guru

Posted: 01:59pm 18 Jul 2007
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Bryan, the links are great! No need to bookmark each, only this page . But the third link from bottom to top is not valid (but is only one - the rest are ok). Thank you!

Vasi
Beyound Arduino Lang

vasi

Guru

Posted: 02:05pm 18 Jul 2007
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I found it!!!

Bill Bowden hobby circuits

Update (he moved):
http://www.bowdenshobbycircuits.info/
Edited by vasi 2009-05-24
Beyound Arduino Lang

Bryan1

Guru

Posted: 08:12am 19 Jul 2007
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Allo Vasi,
Eh mate if you like I can post you a few pic chips or try or see whether you can get samples direct from microchip. I'm designing up a board for the 1687xa series that take a bootloader so you wont need a programmer everytime to re-program the chip. Let me know if you can't get samples as I'm happy to put a few pre-programmed bootloader chips in package and send them over to you. The 8 pin series of pic's chips are great but other chips with more pinouts are great as you can use a LCD as a de-bugging tool tool is a must and it only takes a few extra lines of code to see whats going on. I'm wrapped that I've got so far by just researching those links and learning so much and I'm sure once you get the bug it will stick with you.

Cheers Bryan

vasi

Guru

Posted: 07:59pm 19 Jul 2007
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thank you Bryan, for start, I must buy pic12f675 for tests and learning (or maybe pic16f84). I never programmed microchips before, only PC for doing things on parallel port (but I am not afraid ). It will take time for browsing your links and learning (but I want to do it).

Beyound Arduino Lang

vasi

Guru

Posted: 06:44pm 21 Jul 2007
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hello Bryan, I found this about bootloader

http://weeklybuild.com/2007/01/07/microchip-pic16f87x-bootlo ader/
Beyound Arduino Lang

Bryan1

Guru

Posted: 03:11am 22 Jul 2007
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

vasi said   Hello Bryan, I found this about bootloader

http://weeklybuild.com/2007/01/07/microchip-pic16f87x-bootlo ader/

Hiya Vasi,
Eh mate checkout Sparkfun and click on tutorials. Down the page is a bootloader called Bloader and screamer is the winblows software. Thats the bootloader i'm currently using with a 16f876a on a breadboard and its working perfect. The bloader is also good the 18 pin 18f88 and the 40 pin 16f877a so I recommend you try that one out.

Cheers Bryan

vasi

Guru

Posted: 07:04am 22 Jul 2007
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thank you very much Bryan.

Cheers Vasi.

P.S. Is a GREAT site !Edited by vasi 2007-07-23
Beyound Arduino Lang

vasi

Guru

Posted: 10:37pm 23 Jul 2007
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

The greatest motherboard for programming / testing PIC's .

Here.

Update:
Here.Edited by vasi 2009-05-23
Beyound Arduino Lang

Bryan1

Guru

Posted: 08:27am 24 Jul 2007
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

vasi said   The greatest motherboard for programming / testing PIC's .

Here.

Eh Vasi,
I have looked at the mikroe crap for a long time and after reading so many people having troubles and them not even bothering to respond to e-mails or the forum for poor guys who forked out heaps and either didnt get what they paid for or it wouldn't work. Personally I decided to get the ICD2 clone from sparkfun cheaper than their easypic boards and never looked back. One time silly me had pullup resistors to the pgc,pgd lines and blew 3 transistors on the icd, anyway I posted my problem on the sparkfun forum and within days the guys helped me out and I fixed it myself. Also bear in mind buy the time you buy the easypic4 and get it the easypic5 will come out and your expensive proto board you bought will be good to ripping parts off. If you cant afford to buy and ICD theres some circuits on the net that give you all the info on making your own.

Cheers Bryan

vasi

Guru

Posted: 03:10am 25 Jul 2007
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

[quote]
I investigated the use of ICD because EasyPic4 ICD do not let me use other compilers ...
[/quote]

I think this is the reason they don't sell EasyPIC3 anymore - to sell their compilers.

Reading on mikroe forums about easypic3 and easypic4 problems is scarry but I think also users are guilty about malfunctioning.

Anyway is a very nice motherboard (easypic4) for testing and experimenting with your uC. It has everything, keyboard, LCD's, ...

I am sorry about problems ... I liked that board ...

I want to build a windmill controller similar with piclog (picaxe 08M) but using PIC12F675 and in future, to build linistepper drivers for a little cnc router for pcb proto. Glenn, take a look to linistepper here.

Beyound Arduino Lang

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 11:48am 25 Jul 2007
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thats a interresting link there Vasi. I recently updated my stepper drivers to microsteppers, at $99 per axis they were cheap but it still adds up. The Microsteppers made a big difference to the machines performance, almost double the speed.

Glenn
The best time to plant a tree was twenty years ago, the second best time is right now.
JAQ

vasi

Guru

Posted: 03:03pm 14 Jul 2010
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I must add for readers of this topic that the updated Pickit1 is great for:

[quote]PICkit Classic V1.74 supports these mid-range Flash PIC® microcontrollers:
- PIC12F629, 635, 675, 683,
- PIC16F630, 636, 676,

- PIC16F684, 685, 687, 688, 689, 690, 785

- PIC16F913, 914, 916, 917, 946

Supported Operating Systems:
o· Windows® 98 Second Edition
o· Windows ME
o· Windows 2000
o· Windows XP

Other Requirements:
o· Available USB Port[/quote]

You don't get only a development board but also an USB programmer for those microcontrollers, documentation, a great (australian) C compiler (Hi-Tech), and a bunch of examples. Is the best way for learning how to program a raw microcontroller. Other ways can be painful.

For Atmel ATmega microcontrollers fans (ATmega16, ATmega32, ATmega644P) I recommend this development board with a great of configurability:
Pdf manual
Is a Polish board and the good news is that you can use it with Microchip microcontrollers - not directly inserted (DON'T EVER DO THAT) but via those "one pin" connection wires (of course, you must remove the ATMEL microcontroller first). Someone is using it in this mode. And this way.

Edited by vasi 2010-07-24
Beyound Arduino Lang

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024