Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 04:06 09 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Electronics : Microwave gutted - no Triac??

domwild
Guru

Posted: 06:47am 21 Jul 2007
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Am confused! Gutted a 1,500 W microwave to see what sort of goodies these things contain. As I am interested one day to switch AC via Triacs, I cried because I found none. Does this mean those very small black things called relays are switching 1,500 W? Hard to believe.

By the looks of it, the overtemp. cutout switches are rated at 150 deg. and therefore useless as cutouts to stop a mill from boiling a hotwater system dry.

The large cap. in can form had a capacity of 1.5 uF only and is a high-voltage one, perhaps also not useful for us wind people.
Relax, it had a one Meg. bleed resistor, so it did not kill me.

Hi-voltage transformer? Useful?

Magnets - useful for a cheaper mill compared with paying for neos.

Taxation as a means of achieving prosperity is like a man standing inside a bucket trying to lift himself up.

Winston Churchill

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 12:51pm 21 Jul 2007
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Careful inside those things, when I was fixing white goods for a job I read a lot of service reports on deaths caused by home microwave repair. They really are that dangerous. I used a big earthing stick to make sure the cap was discharged, then even then left a shorting clip across it to be extra safe.

Yes they do use relays to switch in and out the step up transformer, 1500 watts at 240V is only just over 6 amps, easy for a relay to handle.

Useful stuff, depends on how old it is. The magnetron has some magnets in there, though not very strong one's. There are a few door switches, and the transformer can be used as a source of wire. Dont be tempted to use it as a step down transformer on 240VAC as the secondary has one leg earthed.

The case could make an interesting letter box.

Glenn
The best time to plant a tree was twenty years ago, the second best time is right now.
JAQ

domwild
Guru

Posted: 07:09am 22 Jul 2007
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thanks Glenn. Microwave as letter box and an F&P as chicken coop, what will you think of next? Good idea to recycle whenever possible.

A web page showed various triacs ex microwave ovens; those must have been older models. This one was three years old.

Taxation as a means of achieving prosperity is like a man standing inside a bucket trying to lift himself up.

Winston Churchill

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024