Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 07:15 09 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Electronics : Honda Motor

dwyer
Guru

Posted: 11:09am 24 Jul 2007
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Sawtron1
Said Alternator is a Delco-remy model 34SI, acccording to graph 6000 RPM wil give 100amps at 24 volts, Honda Motor, 9HP diesel at 2200 RPM, hope this info will help.

what you need is a large Pully ratio 3 to 1 however engine might got enought puff to reach 100 amp at 2200 rpm maybe getting black smoke out of exhaust but why you want 100 amp for and what are you using for??

sawtron1

Posted: 12:05pm 24 Jul 2007
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hello,
Thanks for the reply, Irequire 100amps to charge My R.A.P.S. in winter when little or no sunlite for solar panels, any other systems you know of please.Thanks.

Gill

Posted: 02:10pm 24 Jul 2007
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

G'day sawtro1
I earlier days of being off grid I found that in 'the wet' the solar let me down. I needed a 70amp generator/charger to keep my bank from the slow death. My key resource was a 5.5KVA petrol gen. but the price of large 12v chargers was too much to consider.

My solution was to take one of the arc welders I had and add a 12v charger winding as an extra secondary. because I had 2 x Hi Amp diodes (120 & 150A)in the junk box, with the transformer layout, and for a continuous duty cycle as a charger, I decided on centre tapped.

The welder had two outputs, one hi amps @ 45V and the second, lo amps @ 75v, with choke control of both rages. I counted the turns between the 45v tap and 75v tap and calculated the turns needed for my addition. I bought a huge flat wire from a motor rewinder for the job.

The end result gives me 30 Amps @ 15v with full choke control beyond my limit of 70 Amps @ 18V.(can't risk blowing those diodes. they are exxxxxxxxpesive to buy.) It works like a charm and have never looked back since making it.

I had considered a synchronous rectifier as a replacement for the diodes but never needed to follow that up past the theory stage.

So knowing your need but not your resources or skills, just thought i'd mention my solution to the same problem as a possible alternative for you.

Good luck.Edited by Gill 2007-07-26
was working fine... til the smoke got out.
Cheers Gill _Cairns, FNQ

KTee

Posted: 11:22am 09 Aug 2007
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

G’day all,

Our charging system.
Kubota 500cc 2 cylinder diesel, water cooled running on bio. Second hand
100 amp 24V truck alternator, second hand
7 kVA single phase alternator

The little diesel is set to run at 1500 RPM, with step up pulleys for both alternators

The 24 V alternator will generate 130 amps if not throttled back for battery charging, this loads the diesel and you can here the governor working until the load drops under approximately 90 amps.

The Kubota and 7kVA runs a 9” grinder (2400 watts) better than our old Honda 9HP petrol. The Honda takes a little time to wind up when you hit the switch on the grinder, not so with the diesel.

The Kubota is probably running about 2/3rd power. Gearing for 2100-2300 rpm would give full power but a lot more noise and higher fuel consumption.

Gearing to make only the amount of power you need can save both wear on the equipment and operating expenses.

Kevin

sawtron1

Posted: 12:41pm 26 Aug 2007
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thanks for your help everyone,
One more question, how can you modify a Delco 100 amp alternator to increase cutout voltage from 28 Volts to 31 Volts, the same cutout point as my sloar regulator to stop battery sulphation?
Roy.

sawtron1

Posted: 12:14pm 27 Aug 2007
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hello,All,
Kevin could you tell me the model of your Kubota engine and make of your alternator please, sounds like the setup I need.
does it do continuous 90amps?
Thanks.
Roy.

KTee

Posted: 05:01am 09 Sep 2007
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Roy
Sorry for the slow response, been tied up with work.
The Kubota is an old ZB500 (we think 11-12 HP)
These motors are hard to kill, we seized it once when a water hose leaked
---it is still going.
They are a bit noisy, so a good shed with insulation would be recommended if close to the dwelling.
The alternator is a Prestolite 24V-110amp made in USA
We bought a new one for the truck - Leece Neville 12V 150 amp $550
These come in both 12 & 24V for trucks, if you know an auto electrician who works on trucks he should be able to supply you with second hand ones

Checked with my brother, the prestolite is producing
1500rpm 1:1 pulley ratio the alternator is putting out up to 80 amps
2300rpm – 130 amps
Since it is working on the standard regulator as battery voltage goes up current drops off

The regulator can be screwed up to approx 30 Vdc, this is what we currently use.
Have been looking to replace the regulator with a DIY reg that will allow maximum voltage and current control similar to what you are talking about.

Kevin

sawtron1

Posted: 12:07pm 09 Sep 2007
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Kevin,
Thanks for the reply, most helpfull, where can you find plans to make DIY regulator,?
Cheers.
Roy.

KTee

Posted: 08:50am 15 Sep 2007
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Roy, this a 12 volt version

from an article by Richard Perez 1994 in Homepower mag

Being mechanical and just dabbling at getting zapped,
I expect that the capacitors need to be 50 - 60 volt range.
The 3K and 4.7K resistors need to be sized for the higher voltage.
And Q2 might need to be stronger.
We need a voltage 27-33 volts
I hope that some electrical buff might be able to point us in the right direction.
Kevin
Edited by KTee 2007-09-16

sawtron1

Posted: 12:28pm 15 Sep 2007
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Kevin,
Thanks for the Info, I ahve a friend who dabbles in electronics, will show him the diagram and post you a reply when I have some info,
Thanks for your effort,
Roy.

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024