Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 03:39 01 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Electronics : Connector/plugs standards

South Easter

Posted: 12:55pm 09 Sep 2007
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi, I am wondering if there are any standards for DC connections in microscale RE? Something that cant be confused with/fit into AC outlets, and also cant be connected backwards.

I use banana plugs at the moment, but it seems far from ideal.
South Easter
http://windpower.org.za

Warpspeed
Guru

Posted: 10:28pm 09 Sep 2007
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Both Clipsal and HPM make a round two pin plug where the two pins are at rightangles to each other. These are commonly used for DC applications in Australia.

Clipsal part numbers are 402-32 and 492-32

Any good electrical supplier should have them.Edited by Warpspeed 2007-09-11
Cheers,  Tony.

South Easter

Posted: 07:16am 10 Sep 2007
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thanks Warp. Looks perfect! Can u tell me which pin is conventionally positive?

South Easter

Warpspeed
Guru

Posted: 07:32am 10 Sep 2007
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I am not sure that there actually is an Australian standard for this, but I could be wrong.

These plugs are used very widely for any ac or dc voltage other than 240v ac.

Because of the very wide application range, everyone seems to have their own idea about polarity! but the plugs and sockets are very common, easy to obtain, well made, and very convenient for our type of application.

Cheers,  Tony.

RossW
Guru

Posted: 08:55am 10 Sep 2007
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Depends on the application - the other "nearly universal" high-power DC plug is the Anderson range.

These are "sexless" connectors - each connector will plug into any other, they're (usually) polarity-marked and come in low capacity (around 10 amps from memory) up to huge buggers that will carry hundreds of amps.

You find 'em in UPSs, on trailers, in forklift chargers and scisor-lifts, all manner of things.

Warpspeed
Guru

Posted: 08:29pm 10 Sep 2007
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Another handy type of connector to use outdoors for low voltages and fairly high currents, are the Utilux five and seven pin trailer connectors.

Fairly crude, but they have massive brass pins and are very reliable for what they are.
Cheers,  Tony.

South Easter

Posted: 07:02pm 12 Sep 2007
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thanks for all the comments!

The Clipseal ones look good... It seems kinda logical to me that the horizontal pin is negative (-'ve) and the vertical is a bit more like a +, so should be positive.
South Easter

Warpspeed
Guru

Posted: 09:44pm 12 Sep 2007
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

That would be an excellent way to remember, once you have decided which way to mount the socket!
Cheers,  Tony.

South Easter

Posted: 05:24am 16 Sep 2007
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Good point Warp... somehow seems sensible to have the connectors one above the other? Suppose it depends on where the hole for the wire is on the plugs... usually one would want the wire coming out downwards (not sideways) so that multiple plugs can fit next to each other...

Seems like this issue is crying out for a standard... any standard!
South Easter

Gill

Posted: 10:05am 16 Sep 2007
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

G'day fellas,
I have a Chesney caravan which use that style of very low voltage socket and it is wired as you indicate above.

Mounted such that the pins form a 'T'. The '-' being Neg and the 'I' being Pos.

I think the Chesneys were manufactured in the 1960, 70 and 80's but now out of business.

Well thats my penny's worth.
was working fine... til the smoke got out.
Cheers Gill _Cairns, FNQ

AMUN-RA

Posted: 08:51pm 16 Sep 2007
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

The horizontal connector should be the positive. they are rated at 15 A but it has been found that they cannot cope with this level ,so in practice should be limited to 10 A Quote from photovoltaic power systems
NUER02 edition used by tafe for teaching pv installers.
Ref page 36 unit 8
For my money I would use anderson's as I find the plug falls out of the clipsal socket very easily.
Mick
Every day the sun shines
& gravity sucks= free energy.

South Easter

Posted: 10:16pm 16 Sep 2007
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Mick. Is there an online reference I can find which gives the recommended polarity?
South Easter

AMUN-RA

Posted: 10:31pm 16 Sep 2007
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Any online reference should say the same thing as these are the standard reference books used by CQU.Mick
Every day the sun shines
& gravity sucks= free energy.

gedanate

Posted: 07:43am 25 Nov 2007
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi guys, I found your discussion while researching for a standard for this plug. Apparently there *IS* an Australian standard of sorts, and all states except for Victoria use the Horizontal pin as Positive, and the Vertical pin (when it forms the letter "T") as the negative.

This was mentioned in a WICEN document which is read by Amateur Radio hobbyists who take part in emergency communications. They need to standardise their plug fittings, or else they risk blowing the circuitry of their radio transcievers.

Why on Earth the state of Victoria has to be different - when all the other states and territories agree - is a puzzle. :-)

Cheers,
David

David Harvey

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024