Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 20:13 30 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Electronics : Re-winding an F&P

driffill

Posted: 10:55am 29 Oct 2007
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

i've got an F&P samrtdrive (i think its a 60 series) an i'm trying to re-wire it, i have some 0.560mm magnet wire and i'm just stuck on how many turns per coils and if i should wire 2~4 in series to boost voltage etc.

i'm aiming for a 12v generator, with as mush amps as possible, i know i may sound like many other first timers, but i do have a good understanding of electrics, i work for a solar panel wholesaler.
i understand that i'll need mega cable, but thats no problem, anyways any help would be great

thanks andrew

Gill

Posted: 09:42am 01 Nov 2007
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

G'day driffill,
Because I am a mind reader, I am not making the assumption that you are using this 12volt F&P as a wind generator. Therefor I suggest to you to go with 2 poles in series, 3 phase Delta, x 7 in parallel. This will give you a higher amperage(as requested) in the upper RPM range. It will not suit as a wind generator.

Why are you so concerned about turns per coil and what's the magnet wire for? With a basic rewire modification of the F&P we cut the connecting wires to the coils and rewire to a different configuration of coils. We do not rewind any of the coils. Note: rewire not rewind.
Because of the 7 parallelled Delta circuits I suggest a much heavier wire than the 0.6mm to carry this current. I suggest a multi strand wire able to carry at least 30 Amps. Say Tricky Dickie's cat W 2286 Ultra Heavy Duty $0.79/M, though you are likely to something suitable at work.

Hope that's helped.
was working fine... til the smoke got out.
Cheers Gill _Cairns, FNQ

GWatPE

Posted: 11:06pm 01 Nov 2007
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Gill

I think its too late. The wire may be OFF already, at least on some of the pole fingers.

fill us in driffill.

cheers, Gordon.

become more energy aware

driffill

Posted: 12:18pm 02 Nov 2007
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

i havent taken anything off the original motor its still electronically original. when i bought it i only got the inner and outer pieces no bearing etc, so i had to machine some metal to suit and hold bearings etc, already it a heavy little thing.

i would like to create a wind generator, but it doesnt have to be with this one. i was more so interested in see just how much power (at 12v) i can get one of these things to put out. i know the deal with cabling size etc. in the future i would like to make a few probably 48volt wind turbines, get them out on a windy coastal property and pump them throu a grid feed inverter, but thats years down the track, for now, its trial and error.

i already have 11kg of the magnet wire, i got it throught work (it was the best available)

there was once a dumb suggestion that i mount it onto a motor of some sort, and mount that unit to the A frame on my caravan and use it to charge my 12v bats, it doesnt sound to bad now. set up with the right motor and inverter, you could possibly power an small air-con unit with it (i know very debatable)

driffill

Posted: 12:20pm 02 Nov 2007
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

i am also planning to set it up so it can be switched between star and delta

Highlander

Posted: 08:29pm 02 Nov 2007
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

G'day driffil, hooking it up to a motor isn't a silly idea at all, I did it ( Hmm I might have contradicted myself).
Anyway if you are going to do it use an 80 stator.
Have a look at my petrol gen on page 2 about half way down or click here
If your in Vic I'll put you onto a bloke where I got my pulleys from.

I wouldn't bother machining a bearing holder, some of the guys have spare parts you could get pretty cheap, put a note in the wanted section, tell them where you are as postage would come into it.
So what did you get the stator and magnet rotor?
what about the shaft?

Central Victorian highlands

driffill

Posted: 12:35pm 05 Nov 2007
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

i bought the F+P from F+P i used to work for them, i called spare parts and got an old one.

i am pretty new at this so i really have no exact plan for this, but yet, if i was gonna do i wanted to do it BIG. i am more worried about how i will regulate that much power, but i have had a few ideas (most likely use a pl-40, set up with relay and dump load, my dog needs a heather in her kennell)

i thought maybe i could get enought on a single coil to not need to series them, that would give lower voltage and higher amps (more of them in parallal)

the shaft was made by the guy that done the bearing holders etc, this whole thing is pretty heavy duty. i have another shaft about 1M long that i was thinkin of maybe putting 4~6 F+Ps on and run off a motor???

driffill

Posted: 07:39am 07 Nov 2007
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

i had a look at the wire suggseted by gill, i sell that at work. when i started this project i asked work what would be suitable for this job, the magnet wire was what i was told. it has no sheath (i.e plastic coating) it has some laminate that is designed to be used in motors/generators. the total wire dia is 0.56mm and the copper (single strand) is 0.56 dia, so i can fit more "turns" per coil then if i was to use the W 2286.

i was told the more turns per coil the higher the voltage, so i made the assumption that if i could get a single coil to put out enought volts to rectify to a stable 12.9VDC, then i could run twice as many in parallal, thus more amps. any ideas?

Highlander

Posted: 08:19am 07 Nov 2007
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

G'day driffill, you won't gain much by doing that.
The difference between .6mm and .56 isn't much.
It's a monster job rewinding one, I did 1 finger due to damage and that was a pain in the ass.
If your going to go to that much effort I suggest making an axial flux.
If you want to stick with F&P have a look into the caps used by Dennis, it appears to turn the performance of high rev mill into a lower rev mill, ie higher volts at lower rev's.
Central Victorian highlands

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024